Regular Contributor

Re: JULY 2017 RECIPE GAME

[ Edited ]

When I think of Fall and Winter the thought of a nice, hearty Clam Chowder comes to mind. Rich with potatoes, onions, celery, creamy broth and lots of chewy chopped clams of course!  For some reason Manhattan Clam Chowder, with rosy red color and intense tomato presence, can be year round, as in this rendition, using Old Bay Seafood Seasoning.

Manhattan Chowder For A Crowd (Serves 12-16)

1 64 ounce container low sodium V-8 Juice

1 16 ounce tub fresh salsa, (mild or medium)

2 Cups diced potatoes, (I use frozen/thawed)

51 ounce can chopped clams with juices

2 bay leaves

1/2 teaspoon Old Bay Seafood Seasoning

1/2 teaspoon ground thyne

1/2 teaspoon parsley flakes

1/4 teaspoon ground mace

1 teaspoon sugar

Combine all ingredients in large stockpot and simmer 20-30 minutes. You can thicken the chowder with a slurry of either 1 Tablespoon cornstarch or flour and 2 Tablespoons water, if desired. Fish out bay leaves before serving.

Variations: I've used primarily pantry items for the above version, but you could most certainly saute half a pound of meaty bacon slices, slivered carrots, minced celery and chopped onion in place of the salsa.

*Due to our low sodium diets, I tend to use reduced sodium products when possible. Here I'm using Old Bay Seafood Seasoning with 30% less sodium. Also lover to use Chef Paul Prudhomme's Seafood Magic Seasoning for a nice change of pace.

foodpixmanhattanclamchowder.jpg

Next ingredient is Chili Con Carne Without Beans

Esteemed Contributor

Did you want Chili without beans as an ingredient for another dish or

did you want a recipe for Chili without beans?  Sorry, just not sure.  Your Chowder sounds delish!

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

No worries...Chili con carne without beans....I take a can of my favorite Denninson's and create lots of Tex-Mex favorites. The ingredient is (a can of) Chili Con Carne Without Beans...sorry for any confusion! Smiley Wink

Glad the red chowder sounds good. BTW: the creamy Boston kind is my all time fav...

Esteemed Contributor

Ok, @KCFoxy, just couldn't let this one go!  I don't have a recipe but was served:

Fill your plate with fresh fluffy rice.

Cover with a slice of cheddar cheese

Top with canned Chili that has been heated to eat!

Don't know what she called it, but I remember it was good and I have served it!

Sure would like to see some of your suggestions!

Next ingredient:  Green beans

Regular Contributor

I save up the drier end cuts of various cheeses and chop or grate them. Usually cheddar, Colby, Monterey Jack or Pepper Jack kinds. When I have at least a cupful I combine with a  can of Chili Con Carne Without Beans. I might add some mild fresh salsa or a pinch or 2 of ground cumin...A minute or two in the MW and a wonderful dip, but would likewise be fine served over rice or corn chips.

As a middle layer in tamale casserole with 1 Cup corn and 1 small can sliced olives mixed in. For the top/bottom (last time) I used some leftover chili verde with 2 Cups corn chips mixed in. Heated over low until chips dissolved into a tasty cornmeal mush. Spooned half into the bottom of a 9 x 9 pan, pured in the Chili mix then topped with more spoonfuls of the verde mush. Sprinkled with grated cheese then baked 30 minutes to heat through.

Makes a nice topping for Chili Cheese Burgers or Dogs....that's just a few off the top of my head...but I digress!

Next ingredient: Green Beans

Regular Contributor
Green Bean Bundles
8 Servings

4 (14.5 oz.) cans whole green beans, drained
bacon (uncooked)
2 Tbsp. butter
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
2 tsp. soy sauce
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 tsp. garlic powder

Gather green beans into bundles.  Wrap one slice bacon around each bundle; lay seam side down in baking dish.  Slice butter on top of bundles. Sprinkle remaining ingredients over bundles.  Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until hot and the bacon is cooked.

Next Ingredient:  Nonfat dry milk
Respected Contributor

This recipe was posted back in 2013 by @Beebee2, who always shared great recipes.

She's very missed here on Recipe Swap.

Stephenson’s Apple Farm Baked Chicken 'n Butter 'n Cream

1/2 c flour
1 1/2 t salt
1/2 t paprika
1/4 t pepper
1 cut-up frying chicken
1/4 c butter
1 1/2 c hot water
1/2 c non-fat dry milk powder

Dip chicken into water. Coat with mixture of flour and seasonings. Put skin side down into 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Dot with butter. Bake at 350 deg F for 30 minutes. Mix water and milk powder. Pour it around the chicken. Bake 1 1/4 hours more, or until chicken is tender.

Next ingredient: white chocolate

Muddling through...
Respected Contributor

No takers for 'white chocolate'?

How about:

next ingredient: coffee

Smiley Happy

Muddling through...
Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Love coffee desserts suchj as Tiramisu and mocha fudge. But this is something extra simple and easy to do first thing...I can now almost do it blindfolded! More healthful than adding creamer, and a lot less hassle than hoping a carton of milk hasn't turned...

My Mocha Java Mix

2 Cups whole milk powder, such as Peak or Klim

1 Cup unsweetened cocoa powder

Combine above powders in large cannister. (Clear Lock N Lock cereal type work well here). Shake well to mix. For each cup of flavored coffee add 2 heaping teaspoons of mix to large mug with 1 Tablespoon warm water. Stir to mix.

Add 8-10 ounces coffee to prepared cup. In our household I use K Cups, and with medication changes, have needed to cut down overall caffeine consumption.

I cup of half-caff (Maud's!) in the morning and 1 Cup of decaf (Paul Newman or Peet's) in the early afternoon and I am done. A small shake or two of ground cinnamon in the morning cup is a nice variation and helps rev the old metabolism.

Takes 1 minute from start to finish, preparing cup while Keurig is brewing the coffee. Add mix to warm water will ensure no lumps, and by day's end I've added a whole serving of much needed calcium between the 2 servings.

Mix can also be added to water for easy hot chocolate.

Sweeten to your taste...we like to use stevia. or half stevia/half sugar.

Next ingredient: Corn tortillas

Honored Contributor

I like this classic recipe because it doesn't rely on canned good for the ingredients 

King Ranch Casserole 

Ingredients

6 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion
1 cup chopped red bell pepper
1 cup chopped poblano peppers (about 2 medium peppers)
1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 3/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 (10-oz.) can diced tomatoes with green chiles, drained
1 1/2 cups sour cream
2 pounds coarsely chopped rotisserie chicken (about 5 cups)
1 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
2 cups (8 oz.) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
2 cups (8 oz.) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
18 (8-inch) soft taco-size corn tortillas
1/4 cup canola oil
Vegetable cooking spray

How to Make It

Preheat oven to 375°. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and next 3 ingredients; cook, stirring occasionally, 8 to 10 minutes or until softened and lightly browned. Stir in garlic, chili powder, cumin, salt, and black pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, 1 minute.

Sprinkle flour over vegetable mixture, and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Whisk in broth, and increase heat to high. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil, stirring occasionally, 1 to 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in tomatoes and sour cream.

Stir together chicken and cilantro in a large bowl; stir in vegetable mixture. Combine both cheeses in a small bowl.

Heat a large cast-iron skillet over high heat. Lightly brush each tortilla on both sides with oil. Cook tortillas, in batches, in hot skillet 1 to 2 minutes each side or until lightly browned and crisp on both sides.

Line bottom of a lightly greased (with cooking spray) 13- x 9-inch baking dish with 6 tortillas, overlapping slightly, to cover bottom of dish. Top with half of chicken mixture and one-third of cheese. Repeat layers once. Top with remaining tortillas and cheese. Lightly coat a sheet of aluminum foil with cooking spray, and cover baking dish.

Bake at 375° for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake 10 minutes or until bubbly and lightly browned on top. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

IMG_4351.JPG

Next Ingredient: BROWN SUGAR