Honored Contributor

Good morning friends, welcome to the first day of July!  I hope everyone that has special plans for the Fourth of July holiday celebration has a wonderful time and for those of us that may be laying low I hope you all have a lovely and relaxing weekend. . . Smiley Happy

.HOW TO PLAY.......

The first player of the month starts the game by posting their choice of recipe.  At the end of the text, she or he types, "the next ingredient: xxx."
(The x's represent that person's choice of any ingredient that can be included in a recipe).  

Throughout the game, the next poster in line must use the ingredient that the person ahead chose.  If you can, highlight the ingredient and/or put it in capital letters anywhere that it is used throughout the recipe.  That does make it easier for everyone to see how the game works.

Because of time or system delays, some duplicate posts occur to the same ingredient.  The next poster generally responds to the first post for the next ingredient.  Good recipes and lots of fun!!

Normally, we start out with a recipe so I will post the last one shared on the April thread and we can take it from there if that's ok with every body (thanks again to our friend @KcFoxy!):.

The Central Valley of California is home to many agricultural goodies, wine, grapes and raisins just a few of many. Many years ago I found an unusual recipe using raisins in a spicy rich Bundt cake both sweet and savory. A little time consuming, but it remains one of my very favorites.

Breakfast Sausage Cake With Raisins

1 Cup seedless raisins

1 Cup boiling water

1 pound bulk pork sausage* (not Italian or Hot)

1 Cup white sugar

1 1/2 Cups brown sugar

2 eggs, beaten

1/2 Cup unsweetened applesauce

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 Cup strong brewed coffee (decaf is fine)

3 cups sifted pastry flour (all purpose ok but higher in gluten)

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice

1 teaspoon ground ginger

1 Cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)

Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour 9-10 Cup Bundt pan.

Pour hot water over raisins in cereal bowl. Drain water after 5 minutes, pat fruit dry with paper toweling and reserve.

In large bowl combine sausage, sugars and applesauce until well mixed. Stir in beaten eggs.

Carefully stir 1 teaspoon baking soda into hot coffee and reserve.

In another bowl combine flour, baking powder and spices. 

Add dry ingredients to sausage mixture alternately with coffee. Stir in reserved raisins and chopped nuts if desired. Batter will be thick.

Spoon into prepared Bundt pan and bake 80-90 minutes. Allow to cool 15 minutes before unmolding and serving. A simple milk and confectioner's sugar glaze with a dash of vanilla may be drizzled over the released cake if desired.

Notes: Original Nordicware recipe called for more sugar but was very sweet and little if any flavor of the sausage came through. *Turkey sausage can be readily subtituted for the pork kind if needed.  Makes 12 servings and smells wonderful while baking. Wrapped, it lasts 3-4 days refrigerated.

Next ingredient is Buttermilk

Regular Contributor
Hoagy Cake
12 Servings

1/2 cup shortening
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 egg
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
2 Tbsp. water
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. vanilla

Cream shortening and sugar.  Add egg; mix well.  Add buttermilk and water; mix until well blended.  Combine dry ingredients and add to creamed mixture.  Stir in vanilla.  Bake in a greased 13 x 9-inch pan at 350° for 20 to 30 minutes or until done.

Frosting

4 Tbsp. butter or margarine
6 Tbsp. milk
1 Tbsp. light corn syrup
dash of salt
1 (1 lb.)  box powdered sugar, sifted
1 1/2 cups coconut or to taste

Combine first four ingredients in a frying pan.  Heat until butter is dissolved.  Stir in powdered sugar and coconut.  Spread on cake while cake is hot.

For Chocolate Frosting:  Omit the coconut.  Sift 3 tablespoons of cocoa with the powdered sugar.  Proceed as directed.

Next Ingredient:  Apple cider vinegar
Honored Contributor

Re: JULY 2017 RECIPE GAME

[ Edited ]

I got this cole slaw dressing recipe from a neighbor when I first got married. She wound up becoming my best friend and it wound up becoming my favorite dressing :-)

Linda's Cole Slaw Dressing

1 cup mayonnaise

1 tbs granulated sugar

2 tbs apple cider vinegar

1/2 tsp salt (lots of wiggle room here, use your judgment)

1/4 tsp black pepper

Mix and add milk until it's the desired consistency, usually about 2 tbs.

This is enough dressing for whole head of shredded cabbage, or 2 bags of the pre-shredded cole slaw mix. 

Next ingredient: fresh corn

ETA: Oh dear!  I hope no one copied this  - there was a typo!

It should read ONE tbs sugar, not two!

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

Summer Corn, Avocado & Black Bean Salad

Ingredients 
Veggies:

• 1 3/4 cup thawed frozen or fresh sweet corn cut off the cob
  • cherry tomatoes, halved (1 tomato, seeded and chopped)
  • 1 15 oz. can of black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 avocado, diced 1/2" cubes
  • ½ white onion, finely diced
  • 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped

• Dressing:
  • 2 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 lemon, juiced (or 2 limes)
  • 1-2 tsp. cumin
  • 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
  • 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper

Instructions
Prep all the veggie ingredients and add them to a large serving bowl. Toss well to combine. 
In a small bowl or measuring cup, whisk together the dressing ingredients and pour over the veggies. Toss gently to coat evenly and let rest about 10 minutes. 
Store in the fridge and serve alone, with chips, or in a pita!

Next ingredient:  Thyme

Regular Contributor
French Dip Sandwiches
8 Servings

1 (3 to 4 lb.) top chuck roast
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 beef bouillon cube
1 bay leaf
4 whole peppercorns
1 tsp. dried rosemary leaves, crushed
1 tsp. dried thyme
1 tsp. garlic powder
2 cups water
French or hoagie rolls

Remove and discard all visible fat from roast.  Place roast in a crock-pot. Combine soy sauce, bouillon cube and spices; pour over roast.  Add water. Cover and cook on low heat 10 to 12 hours or until meat is very tender. Remove meat from broth; shred with forks and keep warm.  Discard bay leaf.  Strain broth; skim off fat.  Pour broth into small cups for dipping. Serve warm on desired bread.

Variation:  If desired, put cheese on the bread before adding the meat.  Put sandwiches on a baking pan and heat in a 350° oven for about 5 minutes, just until the cheese starts to melt.

Next Ingredient:  Tomato paste
Esteemed Contributor

Shepherd’s Pie

Author: Adapted from Danny Boome

Recipe type: Dinner

Serves: 4-6

Ingredients

For the filling:

• ½ Tbsp. butter
  • ½ Tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 1 carrot, peeled and diced
  • 2 stalks celery, diced
  • 1-2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
  • 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
  • 1 lb. ground beef or lamb
  • 1½ Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
  • ¼ cup beef broth
  • 1 cup fresh or frozen peas

For the Mashed Potatoes

• 2 lbs. Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and quartered
  • 2 Tbsp. butter
  • ¼ cup milk or cream
  • ¾ cup grated sharp white Cheddar cheese
  • salt and pepper

Instructions

1. Preheat the oven to 400*
  2. Add the butter and olive oil to a large skillet and heat over medium heat. Saute the onions, carrots, celery and garlic until just tender, about 7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Once the veggies have browned just a bit, stir in the tomato paste and mix thouroughly. Add the ground meat and cook until meat is no longer pink, 7-10 minutes. Spoon off as much grease from the meat mixture as you can. Add the Worcestershire sauce and beef broth. Simmer, over low heat, for 5 minutes. Mix in the peas. Transfer mixture to an 8x8 baking dish.
  3. Meanwhile, place potatoes in a large saucepan. Cover with cold water and a tablespoon of salt. Bring the pot of potatoes to a boil and cook until soft, about 20 minutes. Drain the potatoes well and place them back into the pan. Mash the potatoes with the milk/cream and butter. Stir in the grated cheese and season to taste with salt and pepper.
  4. Spread mashed potatoes over the top of the beef mixture, spreading out evenly and from edge to edge. Rake through the potatoes with a fork to create peaks. Place the dish into the preheated oven and bake until browned, about 20 minutes. Spoon out the pie and serve. Serves 4-6.

Next ingredient:  canned evaporated milk

Regular Contributor

Re: JULY 2017 RECIPE GAME

[ Edited ]

Like the thought of a meat 'loaf' for breakfast or brunch, since my diet requires a steady intake of proteins throughout the day. Found this super easy recipe for a PA Dutch favorite that usually makes me queasy, as so often simply awful offal is used. Woman Embarassed My spin may bother some purists, but with just 3 main ingredients, including evaporated milk it goes in the so worthy, so quick category + so handy to make up a batch the night before.

Lazy Day Scrapple

1 1/2 - 2 pounds bulk breakfast sausage

1 12-ounce can evaporated milk

1 Cup cornmeal

1-2 dashes black pepper

In large nonstick skillet cook bulk breakfast sausage over medium low heat until gray. Drain and crumble. Wipe out pan, return sausage, add milk and very gradually stir in cornmeal, stirring constantly. Add bkack pepper if you like, at this point.

Mixture will be thick, but continue cooking over low heat another minute. Spoon into loaf pan, packing well. Cover and chill several hours or overnight. Cut into 1/3" slices and brown in skillet over medium heat.

I sometimes add a bit of butter for the browning, and like this served with pancake syrup. Others may prefer ketchup instead.  Serves 4-6.

foodscrapplerecipemyveryownonallrecipescom.jpg

Next ingredient is Mexican Chocolate (unsweetened cocoa with cinnamon works, too)

Honored Contributor

Totally yummy!

Mexican Chocolate Bark with Sea Salt and Pepitas

PREP TIME 5 mins COOK TIME 5 minsTOTAL TIME 10 mins

Ingredients
6 oz dark chocolate
3 oz semi-sweet chocolate
½ tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp cayenne
¼ tsp sea salt
2 tbsp pepitas {unsalted}

Instructions
Prepare a 9x13 baking pan by lining with parchment paper. I taped mine in, however a parchment-lined baking sheet will also work.
Coarsely chop the chocolate.
Melt the chocolate in a double boiler, stirring frequently until completely smooth. Stir in the cinnamon and cayenne until completely incorporated.
Spread chocolate out on parchment paper, using a spatula. Mine did not quite fit the 9x13 inch pan, but it was close.
Sprinkle with sea salt and pepitas.
Allow to harden for 1-2 hours {cooling in the fridge is the best option}.
Cut into pieces and store in a sealed container in the refrigerator.

Next Ingredient: SUGAR SNAP PEAS

Regular Contributor

Whether you call them snow peas, sugar peas or Chinese pea pods, they are a well loved veggie that cooks up fast and adds emerald green color to various dishes. Just around the corner from my childhood home, a little Chinese take-out place called The Chopstick did a tremendous business in all the usual Cantonese favorites, including

Char Shui Chow Don (credit Copycat Blog)

1/2 Cup shredded char shui (barbecue roast pork)
 1/2 onion, cut into thin wedges
1/4 cup frozen peas
1/4 cup fresh bean sprouts
sugar pea pods slivered
small handful of scallions cut into small pieces
4 eggs
salt & pepper
1 or 2 shakes Oyster Sauce (optional)

Stir fry the first 5 ingredients in little oil for about 3 minutes until almost done. Mix eggs with scallions and add salt & pepper. Pour egg mixture into pan with meat and vegetables. Reduce heat to medium. Just when egg starts to set, carefully toss to cook all the way through. Turn onto platter and top with small amount of oyster sauce. (This sauce is very salty so only use small amount and add more to taste if desired) 

Variations: Shrimp, cooked chicken, sliced beef may also be used in place of the pork, For the char sui, I usually just order up a small carton and save to make this dish at home, as many Chinese restaurants do not offer it, although most know it well as a tasty family dish.

Soy sauce may be substitued in place of the Oyster Sauce, and Sichuan pepper is nice in place of the regular ground black kind. 

foodpixBBQ-Pork-Chow-Don-980x735.jpg           

Next ingredient is Buttermilk 

Esteemed Contributor

Northern Chicken and Dumplings.  We Southerners make a flat dumpling, rolled out, but cooked the same way and we don't add vegetables.

Chicken and Dumplings

This easy recipe for chicken and dumplings screams comfort food. A hearty recipe using roasted chicken and fluffy buttermilk and chives dumplings that's simple to make and the whole family will love.

Chicken soup

• 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 onion chopped
  • 1 large carrot chopped
  • 1 large celery stalk chopped
  • 1/2 tsp dry thyme
  • 4 cups chicken broth
  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/2 cup frozen peas
  • 2 cups roasted chicken shredded (any part of the chicken will do, both white and dark meat would be great for flavor)

Instructions

1. In a large Dutch oven add the olive oil and heat over medium-high heat. Add the chopped onion, carrot and celery to the pot and cook for about 5 to 7 minutes until the onion sweats and becomes translucent.
  2. Add thyme to the pot and the 4 cups of chicken broth. In a small bowl whisk the flour with a ladle of the broth from the pot then pour back into the pot and whisk making sure there are no lumps. Stir in the frozen peas and the shredded chicken. Season with salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes.

For Dumplings

• 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 egg beaten
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 tbsp chives chopped
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk

1. While the broth is cooking, prepare the dumplings. In a bowl whisk together all the dumpling ingredients, making sure not to overmix, if you over mix the dumplings will turn out too dense.
  2. Drop dumpling batter using a spoon into the thick broth. Make sure you don't take too much batter at once because the dumplings will double in size while they cook, so make them as big as you wish.
  3. Cover the pot and simmer for about 15 to 20 minutes or until the dumplings are cooked. Make sure you don't peek while the dumplings are cooking, because they need to steam in order for them to cook and be nice and fluffy, lifting the lid will release the steam. After about 15 minutes use a toothpick to test if the dumplings are cooked through.

Next ingredient:  Seafood seasoning