Honored Contributor

Digging out my GP cookbooks today

Granted, it's hot out, but I just feel this year is passing even faster than some of the other years.  I want to see if there's a few recipes that I might want to try this year. Want to see how I can vary some of the meals I do, do.

Really like the one dish pan, top of the stove.  My oven 9 x 13" just is too much for us now.  We do ok with the crock pot meals, even if leftovers, but I think I might really check on more stove top meals.  Those are more the right size for us now.

Anyone else searching for certain types of meals, like "stovetop" meals, or oven meals, etc.  What fits your eating style now?

Respected Contributor

Re: Digging out my GP cookbooks today

I collect cookbooks and the Gooseberry Patch cookbooks are among my very favorites.

I have already taken out the Fall books and I'm going through them searching out cozy meals for the season. Yes, it is early but it fits me, for now.

I'm mostly looking for dessert recipes at this point. So much fun.  Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

I usually go through my books and collections looking for old favorites from time to time.  But not today, take a look then go celebrate to day it is "National Junkfood Day"  Kick back put your feet up and do down home cooking tomorrow. Heart

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

Yes, my kids and grandkids land at my house every Sunday after church.   And while I would love to put out a spread like their grandmother always did, I don't have the budget or the will to do all that cooking every week.   I wish I did.

So I am always looking for simple recipes to stretch out the protein.   The grands are toddlers and they like simple food.   They would eat a hot dog at every meal but not at grandma's house!

I made a Shepard's pie and it was outstanding, a big hit.  And of course spaghetti with meatballs (frozen), messy.    

I struggle every week with new ideas.    I would always like to cook something, even if I do use convenience foods, rather than a frozen prepared item.   You never  know if there is some funky herb or flavor that won't go over well.

I may try chicken and dumplings this Sunday.

@qualitygal wrote:

Granted, it's hot out, but I just feel this year is passing even faster than some of the other years.  I want to see if there's a few recipes that I might want to try this year. Want to see how I can vary some of the meals I do, do.

Really like the one dish pan, top of the stove.  My oven 9 x 13" just is too much for us now.  We do ok with the crock pot meals, even if leftovers, but I think I might really check on more stove top meals.  Those are more the right size for us now.

Anyone else searching for certain types of meals, like "stovetop" meals, or oven meals, etc.  What fits your eating style now?

Honored Contributor

@software, pasta meals?  Goulash? I think kids like pasta meals. Stove top...tacos.

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

@software, pasta meals?  Goulash? I think kids like pasta meals. Stove top...tacos.

Yeah, I made chili mac last week.   All the pasta gets tiresome after a while.

Do you have a good goulash recipe?   

They get plenty of tacos and other similar "fast food" items.

I also want to introduce other cuisines they may not have tried, like a simple Asian dish.

Honored Contributor

@software, I'm making goulash tonight. I love it, it was mom's recipe.

1 lb. hamburg

brown that,

add some onion, to taste,

sprinkle around Worchestershire sauce over hamburg.

Put in a can (like large) of stewed or cut up tomatoes.

Honestly, here you can add spices you like or whatever else would work for you.

Meantime do up some elbow macaroni. 1 C.

Let it simmer, and before serving, put ketchup over the top of it and mix it all in, simmer a few more minutes.

& it's ready. 

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

@software, I'm making goulash tonight. I love it, it was mom's recipe.

1 lb. hamburg

brown that,

add some onion, to taste,

sprinkle around Worchestershire sauce over hamburg.

Put in a can (like large) of stewed or cut up tomatoes.

Honestly, here you can add spices you like or whatever else would work for you.

Meantime do up some elbow macaroni. 1 C.

Let it simmer, and before serving, put ketchup over the top of it and mix it all in, simmer a few more minutes.

& it's ready. 

MMM that looks good.  How can you go wrong with that?!!

Have you ever tried it with rice, instead of macaroni?

I found a secret weapon to use with my ground beef recipes.

I always use Worcestershire but I found Tone's Beef Base and it's awesome.

I often used beef bouillion or Better than Bouillon but Tone's Beef Base has them all beat.   It just gives the recipe such a depth of flavor.

Thanks for the recipe

Trusted Contributor

@qualitygal ~ I love Gooseberry Patch!  I have so many of their older cookbooks.  I like this idea!  I posted on another thread that I'm getting into a "colder weather decorating mood" so why not start looking at some recipes that are different and might be fun to try?  My dilema is it's just my husband & I and we both have hugely different taste when it comes to our meals.  If I make a lot of just one thing it very often goes to waste.   

Honored Contributor

@Julie928, That's our situation too. But we try to mix a few made meals with boxed meals, and he chooses some of his likes, and I do some of mine.  It works, but I like made meals better. Personal preference. But I also have days, I just don't want to stand a lot.  (Back, arthritis too).