Respected Contributor

@PA Mom-mom, there is a huge community of Amish in Sarasota Florida....should I encounter them, what am I looking for in terms of ripeness? If they have them at open markets, I'm sure they might be imported from Pa.

I have a feeling I may not find them here in Florida, but should I be able to, can you give us a recipe for the pie filling? That would be helpful!

Thanks and Hugs,

Poodlepet2

Esteemed Contributor

@Poodlepet2 wrote:

@PA Mom-mom, there is a huge community of Amish in Sarasota Florida....should I encounter them, what am I looking for in terms of ripeness? If they have them at open markets, I'm sure they might be imported from Pa.

I have a feeling I may not find them here in Florida, but should I be able to, can you give us a recipe for the pie filling? That would be helpful!

Thanks and Hugs,

Poodlepet2

@Poodlepet2 I think you might find either a pie or the friut. Ask at Yoder's. When you are looking at unhusked groundcherries, you can't immediately tell if they are ripe or not. Groundcherries are harvested after they fall on the ground. After they fall, they do not continue to ripen. When cooked, the yellow (ripe) groundcherries are very sweet and the green ones are not. A good mixture of both makes the best pie. All ripe is too sweet. If I don't get a good mix the first time, I keep buying so I can build a good mix. Yes, I'm just that nutty!

Here is the recipe:

Ingredients:

1 quart (plus a bit more) husked fresh or frozen ground cherries (this could be up to 4 quarts of un-husked ground cherries)*

½ cup sugar

2 packed tablespoons brown sugar

1 rounded tablespoon flour

Dash cinnamon

1/4  cup heavy or whipping cream

2 tablespoons butter

* Try to get a good mixture of yellow and green ground cherries.  All green would be too tart, and all yellow would be too sweet.

For bottom of pie:

1 packed tablespoon brown sugar

Mix together and sprinkle over bottom of unbaked crust

For the pie:

½ cup sugar

2 packed tablespoons brown sugar

Dash cinnamon

Sprinkle bottom mixture into the crust.  Wash ground cherries, strain off water and place in unbaked pie shell until full to the top of the crust.  If using frozen ground cherries, do not thaw them.  Pour the frozen ground cherries into a bowl and quickly run lukewarm water over them to wash them.  Then pour them in a strainer to get off the water before putting them into the pie shell.  Mix the sugar, brown sugar flour and cinnamon and sprinkle over the ground cherries (making sure to tap it down a bit to get the mixture into all the nooks and crannies.  Pour about 1/4 cup of cream over all and dot all over with butter.  Bake at 350 to 375 degrees for about 50 minutes or until the crust is brown and the filling is bubbling. (All ovens are different, so it may take longer or shorter.) The ground cherries will be slightly browned on the top. Since all ovens are different you should check the pie at 30 minutes to make sure it isn’t cooking too quickly or too slowly. When you first take it out of the oven it will be just a bit loose, so let it cool down before serving.

Respected Contributor

...@PA Mom-mom, I think we need to go to Yoder's. I have friends that work at Sarasota Memmorial and they go there frequently....You have an eye for blending them,-I don't really know if I could buy them fresh, but I'm sure Yoders would have it in a delicious pie!

Great idea!

Hugs,

Poodlepet2

Esteemed Contributor

I had never heard of them until a few months ago.  My cousin was telling me about her friend who buys them from Amish markets/bakeries here in Indiana.  

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

I live in Missouri - never heard of them. What do they taste like?