Trusted Contributor

Update on Burgundy Mushrooms

This is in regards to the Burgundy Mushroom recipe from the Pioneer Woman that takes 9 hours to cook on the stove top.  I wondered if using the pressure cooker for most of the cooking would work.

Finally got to the grocery store to get the ingredients for the Burgundy Mushrooms.

I had to decrease the amounts on the recipe as there is just myself to cook for.  My biggest concern was the wine as I don't drink and really didn't know what to buy.  I know that you should not cook with any wine you would not drink, so I just had to guess. 

I wound up cooking them for 2 hours in the pressure cooker, then took the lid off and changed to the "rice" mode and let it cook to reduce the liquid, probably an hour.

They really absorbed the flavors  (especially the wine) and came out just as I wanted, although I may be a little tipsy from eating so many.  Next time I will cut back on the wine. LOL

All in all I feel it was a success.

Honored Contributor

Re: Update on Burgundy Mushrooms

Hate to spoil your illusion,  but the alcohol in wine or liquor evaporates during the cooking process.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@grandma2pkmh  @Kachina624  I found this:

Trusted Contributor

@mousiegirl THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!  I was looking up the same info as you posted. I felt sure that was the true.  Also I believe using it in the pressure cooker just made the flavor more intense.

Esteemed Contributor

@grandma2pkmh

Thank you for posting your review of this recipe.  I still want to make these and if I do, will probably do them as Ree wrote the recipe as I am new to pressure cooking.  Still not sure when I can factor that long cooking time into a meal schedule but maybe over the winter it will be possible.   

Honored Contributor

@mustang66lady wrote:

@grandma2pkmh

Thank you for posting your review of this recipe.  I still want to make these and if I do, will probably do them as Ree wrote the recipe as I am new to pressure cooking.  Still not sure when I can factor that long cooking time into a meal schedule but maybe over the winter it will be possible.   

I would love to try them, but as you said - 9 hours would mean you have to start them about as soon as your feet hit the floor in the AM.

I wonder how they would be if they were done in the crock pot.  At least that way you could do them overnight if you wanted to.