Honored Contributor

Is there a substitute for a springform pan?

I really don't want to buy a nine inch springform pan, but a carrot cake recipe calls for baking three 9-inch cakes and then putting them in a springform pan with ice cream between the layers and on top.  Can anyone think of a successful way to make this recipe without buying a pan I'll not use again?

Honored Contributor

Re: Is there a substitute for a springform pan?

Using a springform pan allows for the easy removal of the item in it. Maybe line the inside with foil and overlap so the cake can easily be lifted out

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Trusted Contributor

I know you'll get suggetions from the savvy posters on this board.

I just want to say that I use my springform and bundt pans more than any others.

You can sometimes pick up a springform pan for under $10 at places like TJMaxx and Marshalls. They are great for all kinds of cakes.

I'm thinking that if you don't want to buy one you may be able to line a similar sized pan with parchment paper, but then you have somehow lift the cake out, instead of just unlatching and removing the ring of the springform pan.

Esteemed Contributor

Ask to borrow one from a friend or neighbor.

Esteemed Contributor

Line a pan with Parchment Paper.  Cut to fit bottom and use a straight strip to cover the sides.

Honored Contributor

My neighbor doesn't own one but suggested we look at Goodwill.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AuntG

When you said you were making a carrot cake with ice cream I thought it was a great idea and went looking for a recipe. 

oh my gosh....  I had to share this...take a look at this one:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/carrot-ice-cream-cake-recipe-2128669

7 1/2 hours to make!  I do not think I will be making this cake LOL 😀 

I agree with @Zhills.  I think lining a cake pan with parchment paper will be a good substitute.  I think you will be freezing it so the layers will be firm and easy to remove. 

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Trusted Contributor

Maybe try arranging parchment paper or foil in the bottom of a  Dutch oven pan or an appropriate depth pan to form a plus sign (+) with all four ends of the paper or foil extending over the edge of the pan to act as your handles to lift the cake out of the pan.  

Honored Contributor

The idea of the spring form pan is that the contents are too fragile to be turned upside down.  Lining with parchment is not going to resolve that issue. Making strips with which to lift might work if the cake is not too heavy. If they tear off, you're up à creek.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Assemble the cake on any plate that fits easily in your freezer, and secure the layers with long wooden skewers or   metal shishkabob skewers to hold in place and prevent slippage.  

The springform pan was suggested to keep the layers together once the ice cream is added, and allow for easy cake removal once set.   No need to buy a pan just to stabilize a cake.