Honored Contributor

Re: Is there a substitute for a springform pan?

[ Edited ]

@rrpell wrote:

@AuntG

When you said you were making a carrot cake with ice cream I thought it was a great idea and went looking for a recipe. 

oh my gosh....  I had to share this...take a 

7 1/2 hours to make!  I do not think I will be making this cake LOL 😀 

Gosh no @rrpell, my recipe came from this month's Better Homes & Garden magazine, page 124. It only says 35 minutes of actual hands-on time.  Even this one is a stretch for me.  The one you found will not be happening!

Honored Contributor

You can line the same cake pan you baked the layers in with plastic wrap and then layer the cake and ice cream. Just use the plastic wrap to remove it from the pan once it's frozen and ready to serve. 

I do think with carrot cake that baking each cake layer separately will probably work better but I haven't seen the recipe. My carrot cake recipe is pretty chunky. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
New Contributor

You can use a ceral box.  cut strips as long as box is tall and a little wider than you expect the cake to be tall when the layers are stacked together.  Use one of your 9" cake pans for a form.  You can decide if you want to use the inside of pan or the outside of cake pan to shape strips of chipboard.  If you use the inside, then chipboard when put together will be just a little too small. If you use the outside, it will be just a little too big, but this is the one I would choose.  Take the strips of chipboard and lay around the outside of the pan.  Tape together the ends to make a complete circle.   Cover this chipboard with aluminum foil.  You can use a small cookie sheet turned over so that you are using the bottom.  It will be easier to work with than having to deal with the sides of a cookie sheet. If the cookie sheet will not fit inside your freezer, then any smooth surface will do.  You can make a round out of cardboard, not chipboard this time, and cover it also with foil.  Set your chipboard round on the cookie sheet or the cardborad round and start to layer your cake and ice cream layers.  When ready to unmold, you can expose the tape of the chipboard round, remove the tape , and peel the foil covered chipboard away.  

New Contributor

Cereal box.......so much for proofreading

New Contributor

Sorry this was such a late post, but I do hope you see it in time.  I think it will work for you especially if you do not want to invest in a new pan. 

Honored Contributor

If  you can't find a springform pan at a reasonable cost or borrow one, I'd make something else. 

Honored Contributor

Funny thing.  DH came up from the basement with a box that contained a cemetery wreath we had purchased for his parent's grave.  It's circumference and depth should hold the cake perfectly.  Of course I'll line the box before assembling the cake.

Esteemed Contributor

Just my opinion, but if the recipe calls for a springform pan there is a reason. If you don't want to spend the money for a new one, then save the recipe and look for one at your local resale stores or discount stores. Trying to improvise with boxes and other materials seems like time and resources wasted. But that's just me. To each her own. My mother used to tell me that if you want to make something, then make it the right way and don't scrimp.

Honored Contributor

I bought a boxed set of 3 sizes of spring-form pans years ago. I have used them more than not! Great investment! 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@AuntG

I have 3 springform pans and use them all the time!

Would you mind posting the recipe? I would LOVE to make it.

I tried googling it from what you posted and couldn't find it at all.

I'd appreciate it!!!

TIA!