Occasional Contributor

Ideas for vegetable side dish

I need some vegetable recipes for Christmas dinner.  Everyone is tired of green bean casserole.  No one will eat brussle sprouts .  Thanks

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: Ideas for vegetable side dish

@sillycat  What is your main dish going to be so we can give you sides that hopefully complement it?

Occasional Contributor

Turkey. stuffing, mashed potatoes, deviled eggs.

Respected Contributor

Sweet potato casserole? That’s a dish that can bake while the turkey rests and is being carved.

Honored Contributor

Why not keep the green beans, just don't make the casserole.

Cook fresh green beans and you could always add some small red (new) potatoes, if you wanted.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

Epicurious recipe for Chive Corn Pudding. 

For something more colorful: sliced fresh carrots and parsnips with parsley, roasted or steamed in the microwave.

Christmas colors: broccoli with halved cherry or grape tomatoes. 

We love fresh broccoli; not everyone does.

All veggies fresh except the corn- frozen.

Trusted Contributor

Fresh green beans with toasted almonds. Blanch beans and chill ahead. Saute with almonds in butter right before service.

Cauliflower au Gratin

Braised Kale

Roasted Vegetables - Parsnip, carrot, butternut squash, beets

Roasted delicata squash

Creamed Spinach

Asparagus in brown butter with lemon

Honored Contributor

Thanksgiving of 2017 I started adding a container of Veg. Cream Cheese to my green bean casserole and now the family wants it all year long.  Do not even want to think about the extra calories with the other ingredients as well.

My DDIL will eat any leftovers of it now for breakfast she likes the new version so much.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Valued Contributor

I chop bacon into small pieces and cook that with chopped onions. When those are cooked thru I add my green beans and cook til heated thru. So good

cookin

Honored Contributor

I'll offer the same as I did for a Thanksgiving request.  Cucumber salad or a real salad if you think people would eat it.  Easy to prep either ahead of time and keep in the refrigerator.

Cucumber salad is just slicing cucumbers (I peel but you don't have to) and toss them with vinegar and oil and some spices (we use salt, pepper, and oregano).  You can also throw in tomatoes and any other vegetable you like if you don't want just cucumbers.

Another Italian tradition is smelts or some type of fish as a side or appetizer as well if your guests like seafood or are tired of veggies.