Honored Contributor

Re: I don't use recipes anymore.

[ Edited ]

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

I worked with a woman who, after a potluck,  would always ask for recipes. After she made the dish, she would complain that it didn't taste the same. When questioned, she admitted she changed most of the ingredients. It was a long running joke. 😸

@QVCkitty1 I've seen that happen here and in Facebook groups too.  Someone will post a recipe and someone else will reply and say something like "Oh I make the same thing , only I do this, this, and this". Well, then it's NOT the same thing, is it?!  Maybe similar, but not the same.  🤦‍♀️😆

Respected Contributor

Old style Southern cooks do not have recipes. They teach others by showing them how to prepare a dish. My grandmother would say, "Knead the dough until it feels right." You knew when it felt right after she helped a time or two. She had no written cooking type recipes. Her only recipes were for baked goods.

Honored Contributor

I do not cook by recipes.  With many food allergies, I cook and eat the same safe foods over and over.   I rarely ever try a new recipe, and stopped buying cookbooks years and years ago.   

Honored Contributor

Naturally, baked goods require precision, but for cooking, I read the ingredients and estimate the quantities. Today, I had fresh garden ingredients to use up so I made a cowboy salsa and never checked the recipe card.

Honored Contributor

I don't cook nearly as much as I used to for many years.  I have a few things for which I have recipes, some from other people and some I've written.

I noticed that when I had a mind to make something and would look for a new recipe, I almost always made changes to it to fine-tune it and make it even better so I guess I would use a recipe as a suggestion.  Smiley Happy

Most of my "recipes" now are just out of my head and what sounds good so I guess I really don't use recipes much anymore either.

Esteemed Contributor

For the most part, I don't use/need a recipe.  However, I make Panang Beef Curry and the original recipe called for things I didn't like and/or want to use so I googled and found substitutes to use and their amounts.  I have to get that recipe out every time so I can remember what goes in, the amount and in what order.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

I hardly use a recipe either for "tried and true" items.  I've made those items for 1,000 times.

I do follow baking recipes exactly.  That's straight chemistry!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I figured I'd take a stab at DIY keto chili.  I browned ground beef, started with a big can of diced tomatoes, some beef bone broth, a few cut up mini peppers, big spoonful of garlics, some dehydrated onion and kept adding chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper until it tasted like something I'd want to eat.  Since we don't use sny beans, it was more like a loose soups.  At the last minute, I decided to add some fresh spinach. It actually ended up being pretty good.  

Honored Contributor

I have never used a recipe for cooking, but always use one for baking. Some I have memorized and don't have to look them up, but they are still recipes.

I am a dump cook.  I just dump a little of this and a little of that and taste.  I don't measure anything..I use my best judgement.

Since I have celiac disease and can't taste items that contain gluten, it sometimes is difficult.  I just use my judgement and ask my DH to taste for me for some items.

I do use a thermometer when I roast or broil meat, especially chicken and often have to look up the correct temperature.  

Honored Contributor

I always measure when I bake.

I never measure when I cook.  Just eyeball and dump...then adjust to my taste.

But I DO now use recipes! 

Everything I made for years came out Italian...no matter what I was aiming for!  LOL

So while I might not follow exactly, I know if I stay pretty close and use the ingredients suggested...this Mexican dish might actually taste....Mexican!