Honored Contributor

I don't use recipes anymore.

[ Edited ]

Maybe I'm just getting lazy.  What I've found that I'm doing is I review a recipe for ingredients and then throw all that stuff together.  Anyone else care to confess? 

Respected Contributor

Re: I don't use recipes anymore.

I always take a recipe as a suggestion. Not for baking as much, but for other foods. 

We aren't lazy. We are creative!

Honored Contributor

@depglass lol  Once a recipe gets into seasonings I don't already have in the house and might not use for another year or two or seven, I try my own version and hope for the best.  

One aspect of cooking for one is that there's only one to criticize the results! 

Honored Contributor

Recipes are guides I think.  At least most!  Some are RULES!  Woman Happy

I learned basic techniques better in college when I like many others cooked our way through Julia Child's Mastering the Art.

My mother worked, so through my teens I cooked, but Julia taught me techniques and processes that made me able to tackle about anything. 

Respected Contributor

Totally agree.  Once I have made something, I never use a recipe again.  My MIL will measure every teaspoon called for in a recipe, but my Mom taught me to just "eyeball" it!

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Respected Contributor

@depglass wrote:

Maybe I'm just getting lazy.  What I've found that I'm doing is I review a recipe for ingredients and then throw all that stuff together.  Anyone else care to confess? 

I go to the computer and get it. No books, no papaers. I've never put anything in,that they can't give me. 

Esteemed Contributor

after being married for almost 50 years....i hardly cook anymore!!

Trusted Contributor

No confession here--I call it a trait of a great cook!

Respected Contributor

Oh gosh, I wish that were so for me....cooking challenged.

Honored Contributor

I rarely cook anything anymore that is complicated enough for a recipe.  If I bake something, I do follow the instructions carefully.