Honored Contributor

Did you ever buy ingredients for a recipie you came across and put the ingredients on the shelf, BUT I can't for the life of me find the recipie (nor do I remember what it was) to make this first time dish???

It's driving me crazy.  It had a can of cranberry sauce and it was a desert.  That's all I can remember.  

I can't stand myself when I do these things.  Mad at ME.  Woman FrustratedWoman Mad

Trusted Contributor

YES! This just happened to me the other day! I bought the ingredients for Ham and Cheese Strata and have looked all over for the recipe and can't find it. I obviously have it because I got the ingredient list off of the recipe. I finally just googled a recipe for it because I still can't find it! 

Respected Contributor

@rms1954   Yes, it has happened to me once in a while, not to worry.  

So, if it was a dessert maybe it was a cranberry bread or cranberry apple crisp, or a cranberry cake?

Just cranberry desserts off the top of my head.

I'm sure what you intended to make will pop back into your head.

Best,

aroc3435

Washington, DC 

Esteemed Contributor

@rms1954  It usually happens to me with a spice, but I know what you mean. Lately, I've taken to saving recipes to my desktop and making weekly menus and saving them to my desktop, just so I don't forget. I don't know where I'd be without my laptop and Echo.

Esteemed Contributor

Imho, we all have "forgets" more often nowadays not due to aging, but due to overload!

Think about it.  Nowadays we don't need newspapers - they're considered relaxing reading!  We don't need the six o'clock news.  We get to the minute updates on anything and everything going on around us, not only in our little kingdom but around the word!!!

Then there's the pandemic with constantly changing updates.  We're also concerned with politics, homeland and world-wide.  How's everything gonna affect our health, economy, lfamily, lifestyle.

Be thankful for those "forgets".  They are our brain's way of saying stop, relax, let go, be peaceful.  And then, you'll eventually remember your recipe - when the time is right.

Now, where did I put my glasses.........?  Woman Wink

Regular Contributor

Oh, Good Heavens.....right there with you.  Now I started doing this to remind me.  I now take the recipe if it's loose, OR I write down the name and where it's located on a piece of paper or notecard and paper clip it to my calendar in my kitchen cabinet.  I have done what you did so many times and it nearly drove me nuts trying to remember where I read the recipe.  Good luck.

Respected Contributor

The poster who mention overload and not aging as the cause of temporary forgetfulness is right on.

There are times that I can't remember a name that is important to me or where I placed something.  Rather than get frustrated or annoyed with myself, I simply tell myself that it will come to me when my mind stops  trying to bring it forth !  That works in minutes or several hours later.

Misplaced articles: I tell myself before I drift off to sleep that I need to remember where I placed "X" and then let it go.  I have been known to wake during the night and go right to the sought-after article.

HTH

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

Since I find most recipes online, I send them to myself in an email so I have them handy after having lost them several times.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

All the time!  Not just for recipes but for other things too!

Esteemed Contributor

@rms1954, I do this a lot and at times have had luck looking at my internet history, and I have found the recipe there, if you think you found it online.

I do this more than I want to admit.

Good Luck, I hope you can remember it.