Trusted Contributor

How to Grill a Chicken Breast So That Its Tender and Moist

Anytime I grill a chicken breast outside on the grill or inside using my George Forman Grill my chicken is always so tough and dry.  I read once to use a marinade of olive oil and some black pepper on chicken that has been flatened using a mallot, but that chicken was a tiny bit better, but still left a lot to be desired.

Went to Denny's yesterday for dinner.  Had a grilled chicken breast and it was so moist and tender.

What am I doing wrong?  Any suggestions would be much appreicated.

Respected Contributor

Re: How to Grill a Chicken Breast So That Its Tender and Moist

Possible reasons for tough or dry chicken:

• Overcooking
  • Temperature too high
  • Combination of both. 

Do you use skin on / bone in or skinless/boneless?  The skin/bone on is easier to get the desired results.  

DH just grilled skinless/boneless breasts last night for Chicken Caesar Salad, and they were delicious.  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Respected Contributor

I would like to know the secret too. Let's hope you get some responses.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use a meat tenderizer similar to K45767, on both sides then marinate in something with some acid in it.  Italian salad dressing is handy.  If I don't have time to marinate, I use an Italian spice mix sprinkled on before I tenderize. 

As @IamMrsG says, use low heat and don't overcook.  All high protein foods should be cooked with TLC. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

I say "ditto" to Kachina624 except I do not use marinade!  After tenderizing I sprinkle with a few drops of olive oil on both sides then sprinkle with garlic salt and some pepper and "poultry seasoning"!!Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

We've grilled chicken on a Geoge Foreman grill and our outside gas grill and they do end up dry.  Sorry I can't be of help but I'll keep reading the advice you get.

Honored Contributor

Our grilled chicken is very tender.  We par boil (actually gently simmer) for about 10 minutes.

Respected Contributor

my dd taught me to do my chicken breasts this way (because i could not cook a decent chicken breast to save my life) ...

pound boneless, skinless breasts with meat mallet

add salt and pepper to breasts

sautee breasts in melted butter for one minute on each side

cover pan and leave it on low for 10 minutes

remove from heated burner and put on cold burner for 5 miutes (don't uncover)

works every time! 

enjoy

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

Our grilled chicken is very tender.  We par boil (actually gently simmer) for about 10 minutes.

My paramour does the same thing for grilled chicken.  He also adds all the seasonings in the water.  When he slaps the chichen on the grill the seasoning is already stuck to the chicken.  BBQ sauce is added while grilling.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@BunSnoop wrote:

Anytime I grill a chicken breast outside on the grill or inside using my George Forman Grill my chicken is always so tough and dry.  I read once to use a marinade of olive oil and some black pepper on chicken that has been flatened using a mallot, but that chicken was a tiny bit better, but still left a lot to be desired.

Went to Denny's yesterday for dinner.  Had a grilled chicken breast and it was so moist and tender.

What am I doing wrong?  Any suggestions would be much appreicated.

In my opinion, chicken breast is not made for grilling.    Try some boneless thighs.

The best way I've found to cook a chicken breast is to poach it, seasonings in the water.