Esteemed Contributor

I found this sauce and made stir fry tonight.  The sauce is really good and I should have at least doubled the recipe but ran out of soy sauce.  If you are looking for a good basic sauce for any type of stir fry, you might give this a try.  I made mine in a mason jar.

Makes 1 1/2 cups-- I would at least double.

1/2 Cup soy sauce (Tamari if gluten free)

1/2 Cup chicken broth (vegetable broth if vegan)

1 Tablespoon cornstarch (or arrowroot)

1 Tablespoon honey (or agave nectar if vegan)

1 Tablespoon ground ginger (can use 1 Tablespoon ginger paste or a 2-inch piece of ginger, peeled and grated)

1 teaspoon sesame oil (I used hot chili sesame oil)

1 teaspoon rice vinegar

2 garlic cloves, grated or finely minced (I used 1 1/2 Tablespoon minced garlic that I keep in the fridge)

Whisk all ingredients together (I just put everything in the mason jar, capped it, and then shook it until blended. 

When adding to your stir fry, allow to cook for 3 full minutes to allow the corn starch to thicken the sauce.

Keep refrigerated for up to one week.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Trusted Contributor

Hi sxmgirl, I might give that one a try.  While we're at it, I thought I'd post one that I've tried and really like.  I'd like to see if any other posters would like to share too. This recipe is from allrecipes.com - 

2 TB Corn Starch

3 TB Brown Sugar

1/8 tsp Crushed red pepper or cayenne pepper (note: I use red pepper flakes)

1/2 cup Light Corn Syrup 

1/2 cup Soy Sauce 

2 TB Dry Sherry 

1 TB Sesame Oil 

1 TB Rice Vinegar 

1 TB Minced Fresh Ginger (note: I use some from a jar)

2 tsp Minced Garlic (note: I use some from a jar)

Directions: Stir corn starch, brown sugar and crushed red pepper together in a small saucepan or 1 quart microwaveable dish.  Add remaining ingredients; stir well.

Cook over medium heat (or microwave on high for 2 minutes) stirring occasionally.  Heat until mixture boils for 1 full minute.  Cook and stir an additional 1-2 minutes or until thickened to a syrup-like consistency.

Drizzle over your favorite stir-fry just before serving.  Also delicious as a glaze for grilled meats.  Store covered in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.

Respected Contributor

Your recipe sound nice, easy and balanced.thanks! 

I have to say that I did not know that honey was not considered a vegan item. But I guess it would not be considering dairy doesn't contain meat 🙄

Learned something today twice

Esteemed Contributor

@LizzieInSRQ, I also did not know that honey was not vegan.  We do learn something new every day!

Honored Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

I found this sauce and made stir fry tonight.  The sauce is really good and I should have at least doubled the recipe but ran out of soy sauce.  If you are looking for a good basic sauce for any type of stir fry, you might give this a try.  I made mine in a mason jar.

Makes 1 1/2 cups-- I would at least double.

1/2 Cup soy sauce (Tamari if gluten free)

1/2 Cup chicken broth (vegetable broth if vegan)

1 Tablespoon cornstarch (or arrowroot)

1 Tablespoon honey (or agave nectar if vegan)

1 Tablespoon ground ginger (can use 1 Tablespoon ginger paste or a 2-inch piece of ginger, peeled and grated)

1 teaspoon sesame oil (I used hot chili sesame oil)

1 teaspoon rice vinegar

2 garlic cloves, grated or finely minced (I used 1 1/2 Tablespoon minced garlic that I keep in the fridge)

Whisk all ingredients together (I just put everything in the mason jar, capped it, and then shook it until blended. 

When adding to your stir fry, allow to cook for 3 full minutes to allow the corn starch to thicken the sauce.

Keep refrigerated for up to one week.

@SXMGirl,Thanks for your recipe.  Is this for 4 servings?  Thanks!

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG, I really have no idea how many servings.  There were just two of us for dinner and I really needed a double recipe, so you might use that as your guide if you make it.  We do like more sauce, but if you do not, then no need to double.  Since I basically made an Asian stir fry, I find that most restaurants have a good bit of sauce, and DH always comments on the amount of sauce, especially if there is not as much.  Hope this helps.