Honored Contributor

How often are you having fish meals, not counting tuna

I really need to eat fish more. But, w/o breading. This should be a riot. We do get some where you can get 2 filets in a box from the grocery store. I'm not crazy about salmon. Does anyone have ways to make fish meals, and make them taste good?

Honored Contributor

Re: How often are you having fish meals, not counting tuna

@qualitygal

You will get a lot of responses, I'm sure.  I usually make fish with a little olive oil, in a foil packet in the oven.  I bake it sealed, for about 30 minutes at 350.  Mostly I cook salmon, but you would probably like a whitefish or something mild like swordfish, mahi mahi, orange roughy, or cod.  When I lived alone, I would often cook two pieces of fish at a time in foil packets, one with Italian seasonings, like roma tomatoes, oregano, garlic, or basil, and one with lemon slices, garlic, salt and pepper.

Honored Contributor

NEVER can't stand fish, the smell of it makes me gag. DH sometimes gets fish when we eat out. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My bosses (both doctors) usually eat fish five days a week. They  get it at Costco. They like the pre seasoned frozen salmon, mahi mahi, and tilapia , and the plain sea bass fillets. They cook in a pan with olive oil, oven tinfoil packets, or George Foreman.I do not like fish anymore.I used to but ,once I had gastrict bypass surgery, my tastebuds changed. I cannot even like tuna salad anymore. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qualitygal  We love fish, we eat a lot of it, and we eat many types of fish.  However my husband cannot eat ocean white because he's allergic.

tilapia

salmon

catfish

pike or mackeral

mahi mahi

sea bass

grouper

tuna (fresh)

orange roughey (me only)

swordfish, tuna, shark

crab, lobster, scallops, shrimp

You never need to put breading on any fish although I know many times yo find it like this in stores/restaurants.

Here's a fav and you can use this one for any fish:

Rinse and dry filets, put in shallow dish.

Mix about 1/2 stick melted butter, olive oil, lemon juice, parsley flakes (or fresh), minced garlic, a little salt & pepper.

Pour this over the fish, bake 400 for 15/20 minutes or until fork tender. 

Pull it out of oven, sprinkle with a little sharp shredded cheese.  It will melt quickly.

This recipe is DELICIOUS! 

You say you don't like slamon, perhaps you've not fixed it properly.  It took me awhile to get this just right so it's not too over done.  I tended to over cook it which makes it tough.  Salmon takes no time to cook properly.  I really suggest you give it a chance.

I like to brush on a little mayo to keep the salmon moist though you could use a little olive oil too.  Sprinkle with a little salt/pepper or other seasonings/spices like Old Bay, this is good.  Bake in shallow dish, 400 for about 15-20, fork tender. ENJOY!

You can pan fry any fish in a little butter and/or olive oil, season, eat.

The trick to fixing fish is to not over cook it.  No fish takes that long.  Grilling fish is excellent too and again it takes no time on the grill.  Put it on foil so it doesn't fall through. 

You need not turn your fish no matter how you fix it.

There are a lot of 'steak-y' type fish too - shark, tuna, swordfish.  I don't particularly like these but I would eat tuna.  Buy WILD caught whenever you can get it.  But we do eat farm raised too.  I know others here raise eyebrows at this but it's very hard to find wild caught.  Buy your fish at a good market if you can, they tend to have more wild caught. 

Fish is really great to eat.  Writing this makes me want FISH for dinner so I'm getting catfish out of the freezer right now and since it's going to be 71 today we're GRILLING OUT! 

After you eat some fish, report back on how you fixed it and how MUCH you loved it!

Valued Contributor

I eat fish 3-4 times a week - salmon, sea bass, halibut, and fresh tuna. I buy fresh, not frozen. I usually bake it in the oven sprinkled lightly with olive oil and various seasonings. Sometimes I wrap it in foil. I use a lot of OLD BAY. It's much HEALTHIER eating fish than eating beef, other red meat, sausage, or pork, which I don't eat.

Honored Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

@qualitygal  We love fish, we eat a lot of it, and we eat many types of fish.  However my husband cannot eat ocean white because he's allergic.

tilapia

salmon

catfish

pike or mackeral

mahi mahi

sea bass

grouper

tuna (fresh)

orange roughey (me only)

swordfish, tuna, shark

crab, lobster, scallops, shrimp

You never need to put breading on any fish although I know many times yo find it like this in stores/restaurants.

Here's a fav and you can use this one for any fish:

Rinse and dry filets, put in shallow dish.

Mix about 1/2 stick melted butter, olive oil, lemon juice, parsley flakes (or fresh), minced garlic, a little salt & pepper.

Pour this over the fish, bake 400 for 15/20 minutes or until fork tender. 

Pull it out of oven, sprinkle with a little sharp shredded cheese.  It will melt quickly.

This recipe is DELICIOUS! 

You say you don't like slamon, perhaps you've not fixed it properly.  It took me awhile to get this just right so it's not too over done.  I tended to over cook it which makes it tough.  Salmon takes no time to cook properly.  I really suggest you give it a chance.

I like to brush on a little mayo to keep the salmon moist though you could use a little olive oil too.  Sprinkle with a little salt/pepper or other seasonings/spices like Old Bay, this is good.  Bake in shallow dish, 400 for about 15-20, fork tender. ENJOY!

You can pan fry any fish in a little butter and/or olive oil, season, eat.

The trick to fixing fish is to not over cook it.  No fish takes that long.  Grilling fish is excellent too and again it takes no time on the grill.  Put it on foil so it doesn't fall through. 

You need not turn your fish no matter how you fix it.

There are a lot of 'steak-y' type fish too - shark, tuna, swordfish.  I don't particularly like these but I would eat tuna.  Buy WILD caught whenever you can get it.  But we do eat farm raised too.  I know others here raise eyebrows at this but it's very hard to find wild caught.  Buy your fish at a good market if you can, they tend to have more wild caught. 

Fish is really great to eat.  Writing this makes me want FISH for dinner so I'm getting catfish out of the freezer right now and since it's going to be 71 today we're GRILLING OUT! 

After you eat some fish, report back on how you fixed it and how MUCH you loved it!

Thank you SO much, I copied and printed that so that I'll have it next grocery day. I know there's other WW people on here and this should help them too. Thank you!!

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono, thank you. I've got your notes too and I'll add and keep all this info together. I am going to try and really eat more fish!

Honored Contributor

@italia8140, thank you, I'll add your info as well.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

@italia8140, thank you, I'll add your info as well.

Here's a recipe I use a lot by Giada D.

Salmon Baked in Foil

Total Time: 40 min

Prep: 15 min

Level: Easy

Yield: 4 servings

Ingredients

4 (5 ounces each) salmon fillets

2 teaspoons olive oil plus 2 tablespoons

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

3 tomatoes, chopped, or 1 (14-ounce) can chopped tomatoes, drained

2 chopped shallots

2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

1 teaspoon dried oregano

1 teaspoon dried thyme

Directions

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Sprinkle salmon with 2 teaspoons olive oil, salt, and pepper. Stir the tomatoes, shallots, 2 tablespoons of oil, lemon juice, oregano, thyme, salt and pepper in a medium bowl to blend.

Place a salmon fillet, oiled side down, atop a sheet of foil. Wrap the ends of the foil to form a spiral shape. Spoon the tomato mixture over the salmon. Fold the sides of the foil over the fish and tomato mixture, covering completely; seal the packets closed. Place the foil packet on a heavy large baking sheet. Repeat until all of the salmon have been individually wrapped in foil and placed on the baking sheet. Bake until the salmon is just cooked through, about 25 minutes. Using a large metal spatula, transfer the foil packets to plates and serve.

You can probably use this recipe for other types of fish also. ENJOY!