Esteemed Contributor

How Long Do You Boil Corn...

[ Edited ]

The time for boiling corn on the cob varies alot on the internet!  What works for you?  Thanks!

Respected Contributor

Re: How Long Do You Boil Corn...

[ Edited ]

I wrap mine in a wet paper towel, stick it in the microwave 3 minutes - perfection!  I live alone so bringing out a pot just isn't worth it for one piece of corn.  Isn't it 3 minutes in boiling water also?   

Honored Contributor

i boil mine approximately 10 minutes or so and add salt, sugar, and cream to the water.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Yes, for me it is 3 minutes boiling water.

Honored Contributor

I also do mine in microwave.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

I have my sugared water boiling rapidly, drop the corn in, boil one minute and turn off the heat for one minute.   I hate overcooked corn.   

Respected Contributor

Boiling salted or sugared water....jury is out on that one.

boil 5 minutes, turn heat off and put the cover on the pot to finish cooking approx 10 minutes.

perfect everytime.

Super Contributor

If you cook corn on the cob more than 2 to 5 minutes, you won't get that fresh, just picked flavor.

My mother -in -law cooked hers to death for 15 minutes and it was tough and tasteless. Try cooking it for a short time just to see the difference it makes.

I also cook it in the microwave for 2 minutes sometimes, but I like it boiled best.

Valued Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

I have my sugared water boiling rapidly, drop the corn in, boil one minute and turn off the heat for one minute.   I hate overcooked corn.   

Perfect answer! I grew up in Iowa, eating  super fresh corn right out of the garden.

I have changed to "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" spray. Works great on corn--you can put on just the right amount, then a little salt. NEVER salt the cooking water, it makes the corn tough. I add about 1 tablespoon of sugar, after the water is boiling.

Haven't tried the microwave, because I always cook at least six ears at a time. Hubby can eat them all in one sitting.

Honored Contributor

If I do happen to buy it fresh at the corn farm, I don't even cook it.