Trusted Contributor

Re: How Long Do You Boil Corn...

I bring my water to a boil with just a pinch of sugar in it, then add my corn put the lid on and turn off the burner and let it steam cook for 10 min.

Respected Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

I'm afraid to share a link, but there is a video on You Tube that answered this question once and for all for me.  I put the corn, still in the husks, in the microwave for four or five minutes per ear.  If curious, go to youtube and enter a search for Shucking Corn - Clean Ears Every Time  No Music 2 MartinCraig4.  

This is what I do as well. I'm amazed that people are still boiling corn, when the microwave method is far more energy-efficient and even spares you the usual mess of shucking, since the husks and silk usually all slip off. That's the part of corn on the cob I've always disliked--getting the silk off--and this solves that problem. 

Honored Contributor

If I don't grill it or make homemade cream style, I boil with a little sugar for 8-10 minutes.  I much prefer using a steamer in the pot to protect the water soluable vitamins that would leach out.

Esteemed Contributor

@nana59, when I boil ears of corn, I have sugar and milk in the water and it takes about 10 minutes.  When I am by myself and don't want to use a pot that I have to clean, I put the ear of corn, with the husk, in the microwave for about 4 minutes.  For a large ear, about 4 minutes 20 seconds.  Once you put it in the microwave, you will be able to determine what timing works best for you.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Super Contributor

I used to boil our corn; and I have also done it in the microwave. Now for the last 2 or 3 years our favorite way is to steam it in my stainless steel pot with steamer insert. 5 - 7 mimutes. 

Still Tabbycat ~~ Less is More ~~
Trusted Contributor

I place ears of corn in rolling boiling water (the addition of the corn stops the boiling).  Once the water has come back up to a boil, put a lid on the pan and the corn is removed  after 5 minutes.