Honored Contributor

Re: Honeysuckle or Butterball?

I used to buy Butterball.  Now I get fresh organic turkey from the local farm.  They are expensive but we love the taste!

Honored Contributor

I think there's a difference from brand to brand.  Maybe not a huge one, however.

I like to buy Diestal brand which is farmed and sold specifically for Raley's grocery stores.  It's a west coast grocery chain.   The brand is outstanding.

Honored Contributor

Neither for my family.  I buy just fresh turkeys from a local farmer.  Just a huge difference.

Esteemed Contributor

after the gravy goes on....i can't taste the difference....it could be a piece of cardboard, and it would taste good to me.......lol.....

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

I cooked Butterball once and thought their butter had an odd flavor.  I know all about safety with handling poultry as well as taught it, so flavor was the issue.  I never bought Butterball again.

Butterball turkeys don't contain butter.  

Or are you talking about a brand of butter?  

Esteemed Contributor

@bargainsgirl  I've always done a Shady Brook fresh turkey, but this year I'm trying an Empire kosher turkey. I've heard so many good things about it and will report back.

Trusted Contributor

@Miss Pepsi wrote:

Whichever is cheapest.  I have had outstanding luck with both brands

I personally don't think that it matters, either.

I think that it will probably just come down to someone's personal preference after they've tried the turkey.

I also think that it comes down to how you season it and prepare it, like do you oven roast it, slow cook it, deep fry it, smoke it or grill it, you know?

I've had all of the major brands over the years, plus the store brand turkeys and I've found them all to be good.

I've made Butterball, Honeysuckle, and Jennie-O--all good. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

honeysuckle for us, for the last 3 yrs. Go with what you can afford, not overcooking, any brand is important, too.

Honored Contributor

It was mentioned about Butterball and the butter in the turkeys.

Quote: 

In an interview with the AP, Butterball CEO Rod Brenneman clears up an apparently widely held misconception about the butter content of his company’s birds:

Many people think Butterball turkeys have butter in them, but they don’t. Basically the name came about because of their plump size and golden color. We’re proud of the Butterball name. There is no talk or joke about being a butterball at this company. Only about our turkeys. They’re plump.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bargainsgirl  I have had some excellent turkeys as long as they have the plug in.  I do not want a natural turkey that you have to baste.  Butterball is nice but Inever tried the other one.  As long as you buy a brand name with the plug you will be okay.

kindness is strength