Valued Contributor

Has anyone ever frozen unbaked dressing?

Thinking of freezing half of the recipe for Christmas.  I usually half the recipe but thought I'd try making the entire recipe and freezing half.

Advice?

TIA!

Respected Contributor

Re: Has anyone ever frozen unbaked dressing?

Goggle - Freeze in a shallow pan & don't thaw before baking. Enjoy.

Honored Contributor

Yes.  Works great.

Regular Contributor

I suppose it depends on your recipe. If you put celery & onions in it I would saute them instead of putting them in raw since those veggies could make the dressing watery & I'm not sure how raw egg would do since I don't put egg in mine. I freeze baked bread dressing frequently, after it's cooled of course. I've never done cornbread stuffing. It is a real time saver when you are hungry for dressing but don't want to go thru the hassle of making it from scratch. Just be sure to label that it is "raw" & needs to be baked when you put it in the freezer. IMHO I wouldn't hesitate freezing it raw. Happy eating!!

Frequent Contributor

I have done this before.  I used Bell's stuffing and add sauteed onions, celery and breakfast sausage.  Prep it as if you are ready to stuff your bird or bake in a casserole dish.  Let it cool completely and place in a heavy duty freezer bag.  I thawed mine before baking when ready to use.

Respected Contributor

Yes ,,I've done it many times ....

Honored Contributor

I do this yearly as it is a production to make the stuffing in the first place.

Mine has no meat but I don't think that it matters.  I just totally wrap a freezable bowl of it

(like corningware) in saran wrap then wrap the outside with foil.  Works out fine, you cannot even tell it was frozen.  I do let mine thaw awhile before putting in the oven.

Honored Contributor

Absolutely!  I'd put it in aluminum pans and lock it down with aluminum foil and freezer tape.

Very FEW items do poorly when frozen.

Honored Contributor

We make cornbread stuffing year around and we always freeze part of it--baked.  It works out fine.  Just reheat however you want.

We do saute onions and celery, but we do not use eggs in the dressing, and we use cornbread only, so that stays firm and crunchy on top.