Honored Contributor
I fix hamburgers on the stovetop often since my family is quite lazy about cleaning the gas grill.

I heat my skillet for about 5 minutes until it is very hot, and starts to smoke. I make my hamburger patties, slap them in the skillet, put my glass press on top and cook on the medium high heat for 3 minutes. I turn the burgers, put the press on them again, cook 1 minute, then turn the heat off and wait 2 more minutes before eating.
Frequent Contributor

First, use 80/20 ground beef, form size patties you want, salt on both sides.  Let sit at room temperature for about 15 minutes.  If you don't have a grill pan, stainless saute will work - doesn't have to be cast iron.  Preheat the pan over medium high heat until a few drops of water sizzle - similar to making pancakes.  Put patties in pan, not too close together.  Cook without touching for five minutes.  Turn over and cook five minutes more.  Remove from pan and let rest for five minutes to settle the juices.

Honored Contributor

Doesn't anyone broil meat anymore?  I hate greasy, fried burgers.  I liked those grilled over charcoal with hickory because they're basically broiled, but I won't eat beef cooked in a frying pan.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Just like a lot of you, I cook my burgers in a hot skillet w/ a splash guard at the ready. I do like to add some seasoning to them (below), and also press my thumb into the middle of the patty before cooking.

COPY CAT RED ROBIN SEASONING 

INGREDIENTS
  • ¼ cup Kosher salt
  • 1 Tablespoon instant tomato soup mix (Knorr tomato with basil works nicely)
  • ¼ cup Smoked Paprika
  • 2 Tablespoons Garlic Powder
  • 1 Tablespoon Onion Powder
  • 1 Tablespoon Chili Powder
  • 1 and ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
  • 1 and ½ teaspoon Ground Cumin
  • 1 and ½ teaspoon Dried Basil
  • ½ teaspoon Ground Sage
  • ½ teaspoon Dried Oregano
  • ¼ teaspoon Celery Salt

INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl, and mix well.
  2. Store tightly closed at room temperature.
  3. Yields about ¾ cup.
Muddling through...
Esteemed Contributor

My son uses Prime Rib seasoning on his burgers when he grills them.  They are super good!

Esteemed Contributor

A charcoal or gas grill are the best methods to use.  If not, I would use a George Foreman (or similar type) grill.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

@marzi 1 wrote:

The taste is fine, but they will not hold together and the clean up is a mess/ looks like outdoor on a grill is the best way to go 

@marzi 1I tried for years to make my own burger patties only to be disappointed/depressed.  I have tried every trick and tip that folks were kind enough to share and they always ended up uneven/falling apart/gross.  I have given in to the pre-made patty (I am lucky to have a restaurant supply store close to my house where I can buy them fresh) and then make them in either a nice skillet or weather permitting on my Masterbuilt electric outdoor grill.  It will always be my eternal shame that I cannot for the life of me form a decent burger patty but I will consoling myself today with a burger from the store with mushrooms and swiss cheese . . . Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

I don't know why some of your burgers fall apart, unless your ground beef is too lean,  I use an 80/20 ratio.

I fry my burgers in a cast iron skillet til well done, then melt American cheese on top.

I don't mind the cleanup or the lingering odor.  It's worth it to have a good burger.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Doesn't anyone broil meat anymore?  I hate greasy, fried burgers.  I liked those grilled over charcoal with hickory because they're basically broiled, but I won't eat beef cooked in a frying pan.

The key here, I'll bet, is you won't eat GREASY beef in a frying pan.  Me either!  Ground beef should be every bit as good as a good steak.  For me, that's certainly no more than 15 percent fat.  It's the fat from older beef (that fat that's yellow) that tastes rank.

I have no problems having good steak ground up for burgers or ground beef for chili or something else.  Don't over cook it, oil the pan or the grill and it will hold together fine as a burger (pat it together gently but well formed).  And it will taste like heaven:  no fatty greasy taste, no gristle, just beautiful beef!  Don't overcook it.

Honored Contributor

Also, I like not really thick burger patties beause they cook better and are slightly bigger than the bun when cooked.  Not too thin, not too thick, put them on an oiled grill pan or grill or in a skillet.  Let them cook until they sear and release, turn ONCE and it should work fine.  

Also, have a big spatula and filp confidently.