Respected Contributor

For pan frying patties, I highly recommend:

K45549  Cook's Essentials SS set of 3 round presses.

Currently on clearance for $11.96 plus $5.50 shipping.  They are great for keeping a patty flat and cooked evenly and keeping mess to a minimum.  If I want cheese on top I add it at the end and put a lid on top for residual heat to melt it.

Honored Contributor

The secret to good burgers at home is buying good quality meat from the butcher , not the krappy meat with half the weight is water they sell at the grocery store. It's the water in the meat that makes it spit and grease fly all over your stove. Get a good 80/20 mix at the butcher. Unless it's raining we cook our burgers on the grill.

Respected Contributor

@spent2much wrote:

The only way we have hamburgers is on the grill.  With that said, the hamburgers that taste the best are from 80/20 meat, bought fresh, and form your own patties.  Huge difference to us.

All the chefs on cooking shows say that 80/20 is the best ground beef to use bc it's a good ratio of meat/fat.  Another thing I've found is that it may sound crazy but when I buy ground beef at Wegman's it always tastes better and stays fresh longer.  We now have a new grocery store here (Lidl) that is like an Aldis (it is German based).  I bought some ground beef that the taste was much better than what I'd gotten in the usual grocery stores and like Aldis, Lidls is usually cheaper on many items in the store, meat included.