Valued Contributor

I made some applesauce in the crockpot today - it turned out very good with Ruby Jon apples from our local farm.

I left the peel on and it turned a beautiful deep pink color.  However, I had to fish out the peels.

Do you peel your apples or leave them unpeeled and then fish out the peels?

Super Contributor

You can use a strainer to get the peels out.  We have a Squeezo so we just use that.  Easy as pie.  Glad to hear yours turned our so pretty and delicious!

Valued Contributor

I make mine with the peels on and use a chinois to strain out core, seeds and skins.  Leaving the skins on makes applesauce much more flavorable.  I make mine in large batches and freeze it.

Esteemed Contributor

@tarsmom  I use a Victorio strainer. I just quarter the apples without taking out the seeds, stems or peels. Then I cook them down in big pots and run them through the strainer. When the sauce is cool, I freeze it in quart and pint wonton soup containers.  I usually use Empire apples, and they don't require any sugar to make it palatable for the kiddies. This year, however, it seemed not as sweet. I've had the same strainer for over 40 years.

Victorio Strainer (2).jpg

Valued Contributor

I was "today years old" when I learned what a Squeezo and a chinois is Smiley Happy

You ladies must be master cooks!  

A strainer would be too fine but I bet I could use a colander.

Thank you for your input! 

Honored Contributor

I peel mine and make it in the pressure cooker with some lemon juice and cinnamon.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@tarsmom The chinois was how my mother made it way back when and so that's how I learned and I have her chinois.  Hers was aluminum and most now are stainless steel.  I did find an aluminum for my daughter about 5 years ago but can't find them any more.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Homemade Applesauce

[ Edited ]

@m0rgan wrote:

@tarsmom The chinois was how my mother made it way back when and so that's how I learned and I have her chinois.  Hers was aluminum and most now are stainless steel.  I did find an aluminum for my daughter about 5 years ago but can't find them any more.

@m0rgan  I have a picture of my Mom's. Is this what your Mom's looked like?

Mildred Clemens's Apple strainer.jpg

Valued Contributor

I leave the skins on; and also make in the crockpot. Mine is very unfussy though, I add some cinnamon sticks in the crockpot and fresh lemon.  I'm the only one in the house that's likes applesauce, so I make it chunky (my preference). 

Esteemed Contributor

Never done it with the cores or skin.  

I did do up a lot this year since the grocery pickup selection was not great.  Several varieties, always surprising to taste the different flavors.