Honored Contributor

I'm a fervent believer in leftovers.  I usually make enough for three or four meals.  When it's really good - I have no issue with eating the same thing for three days!

It started before I retired - I used to cook on Sunday for a few days so I wouldn't have to start from scratch when I got home from work.  Now that I'm retired - I've continued.  

I just put a big pot of curried lamb stew on the stove.  Smells delicious. 

Here's an article from Allrecipes dot com - with some recipes for "leftovers."

https://www.allrecipes.com/gallery/best-foods-for-leftovers/

Nothing is worse than making a meal that creates subpar leftovers, making you choose between avoiding food waste or having a lunch you'll actually enjoy. But you don't have to worry about this conundrum with these 15 recipes. Each makes leftovers that are actually more delicious than the day they were prepared fresh.

Honored Contributor

I do that when making stews, chili, gumbo etc.

I make some extra on the weekend to eat the next week so I'm not cooking daily.

I just made of pot of beef stew since it got cold. We ate it 5 days. I could eat soup daily when cold.

We had bbq chicken on the grill last night & having steak tonight. Will have leftovers from both.

Respected Contributor

We like leftovers.  Yesterday I made chicken thighs and today a meatloaf.  Granddaughter is spending the night and loves meatloaf.  So tomorrow leftovers.  I work so I take to work sometimes or wait until evening meal.

Tuesday make chef salad and use the chicken up.

Made chili last week and had for couple days and froze the leftovers in smaller portions.  Husband took out and had some for lunch yesterday.

That is how we roll.  We don't always eat the same thing so we freeze things for one or two for those times.

Esteemed Contributor

@ALRATIBA  I'm with you. I always cooked on the weekends, so I didn't have to cook when I came home from work. I usually make 3 things, so that we can rotate. It's frustrating when SOME people don't rotate and eat just one thing every day. Smiley Frustrated Thanks for the link.

Frequent Contributor

The only thing I like about leftovers is no work required. No thinking, no planning, no cooking. But, leftovers are not very tasty after 2 days.

Honored Contributor

Most leftovers will not be eaten the next day at my house. There are exceptions like a good meatloaf for sandwiches. 

I freeze leftovers so I can pull them out of the freezer down then road.  On a Friday, I made hot turkey sandwiches with gravy and mashed potatoes.

My DH said.."where did this turkey come from." I had roasted a while turkey back in April and froze some in containers with gravy.

My freezer is full of homemade baked goods and soups, etc.

Most leftovers that can't be frozen are taken home by my adult children.  They are always eager for some home cooking.

Honored Contributor

We like leftovers at our house, especially me, since I do the cooking.  If we can't eat it, then it's frozen for another meal.  I rarely throw out food.

Honored Contributor

If it's good, I could eat the same thing for numerous days, so I cook like you do @ALRATIBA  and always make a lot.  Since I retired, I hate to cook so enjoy just warming up leftovers.  If I should get sick of it, it can always go in the freezer.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor
I have made soup and chili several times since the weather turned Cooler, but I make soup year-round. DH would gladly eat a big bowl of soup several days in a row until it’s all gone. I try and make new soup recipes and always end up going back to our favorites.
Honored Contributor

Re: Leftovers ....

[ Edited ]

It is just two of us so I freeze lots of things. It is just as easy to make a big batch of soup as a small pot enough for one meal. During the lockdown we had an unusual cold snap in late March. DH was thrilled to find one last container of some veggie beef soup I had saved in the freezer. Made him a grilled cheese with it and he was a happy camper. I almost always plan to cook once, and eat twice or three times. I hate wasting food.