Honored Contributor

I've offered to make a meal for the members of our church's spring clean-up crew. It's a simple lunch that will include a pasta salad containing cubed chicken, rotini, grapes and cashews, along with some dessert bars. What should I provide as the main dish? Generally, it's some kind of sandwich, but I've drawn a blank as to what I should make.

Honored Contributor

Re: Help me complete this menu

How about ham and cheese with tomato's, lettuce and pickles on the side to add as people like and want?

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

Tea sandwich, maybe small egg salad, tuna and maybe turkey

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

What about the ham and Swiss sliders on Hawaiian rolls?  You can find the recipe on the King Hawaiian rolls website.  I thought they were really good.  

Honored Contributor

@AuntG

I'm not sure how many you are looking to feed, but our Go-To is always pulled pork.

We have a smoker but it can be done in the oven or crock pot.  Add some BBQ sauce, rolls and done!  A nice cold slaw is always welcomed to top it too!

Everyone can fill their own roll...no prepping by you needed.  It is easy to do ahead and reheats nicely.

That is so nice of you to do...what a blessing!

Honored Contributor

You might want to consider some vegetarian food.  Maybe tea sandwiches cut in triangles.  Something like chopped olive or tomato sandwiches with greens, peanut butter, avocado, etc.

Trusted Contributor

I love the sliders on the Hawaiian rolls, I don't know if the Sara Lee brand Hawaiian rools are available in your area but i like them better than the King Hawaiian rolls.  I've also made roast beef little sliders they are delicious.

Trusted Contributor

@AuntG Pulled pork sandwichs. I feel sure they will be hungry. Cleaning is hard and sometimes tedious work. Fill their tummies.

Contributor

I have had good luck with these. Great at room temperature.

Baked Sandwiches

December/January 2015...cooks country

12 square soft white dinner rolls
6 T yellow mustard....divided
12 thin slices Black Forest ham...8 oz minimum...can use more
12 thin slices Swiss cheese
4T butter...unsalted
2T finely chopped onion
1T poppy seeds
2T Worcestershire
1t garlic powder

Slice rolls. Spread 4T mustard on cut sides of tops and bottoms.
Arrange bottoms in pan
Add folded ham and cheese to each. Season with s+p and add tops

Combine butter, onion,poppy seeds in bowl. Microwave until butter is melted and onion softened about one minute. Whisk in Worcestershire, garlic powder, and remaining 2T mustard. Generously brush tops and edges with all of the mixture

Cover with foil and let sit for 10 minutes. Bake for 20 minutes at 350. Uncover and bake until cheese is melted about 7-9 minutes. Let sit for 10 minutesi

Various combos
Ham and Swiss
Chicken breast and American
Ham, Genoa salami, cappicola and provolone

Trusted Contributor

I think if you're going to do sandwiches, you have to do more than one variety. It's more work, but providing options is essential. I can't eat pork, it makes me sick. I can't stand egg sandwiches either. So if I was there and that's what was served, I couldn't eat. I signed up to do sandwiches for a church function before and I made several varieties, which won over the crowd. I was told to not make tuna, but I did anyway, and they were the most popular. Either use sliders/rolls as already suggested, or cut regular sandwich bread into quarters.

Another idea could be having meats, cheeses, crackers and rolls for the people to grab and build together as they please.

By the way, thank you for your contribution to your church. I'm sure it's appreciated.