Honored Contributor

Re: Help! Head of Cauliflower

@CareBears wrote:

@RespectLife When I came up with the recipe I actually combined a couple of them and was reading the ingredients off to my husband and he gave me that "No Way LooK', he is a meat & potatoes man and this contained no meat how dare I insult him by serving him a vegetable dish, my DH lives for bacon so I added it on the off chance, and now HE requests this dish, LOL!

That's funny @CareBears  my DH and father were the same way.

In my efforts to eat healthier, I have made many veggie based dishes, added Kale or spinach to everything, used quinoa, spiralized everything...and he always says the same thing.  Where is the main dish?  LOL

I have skipped the carb side and served him veggie based sides instead and get the 'Fish' face every time.

Honored Contributor

@TaylorBrown wrote:

I have heard of "ricing" cauliflower but have never done it myself.  I guess whatever you season it with will change the blandness fo the cauliflower.

I have never done it either.  Wegman's sells pkgs. of 'riced' cauliflower.

I am assuming you have to have a ricer to do this yourself?  I don't have one and don't dare to purchase another gadget.

Has anyone ever done it a different way?

I know I would like it!

Esteemed Contributor

@RespectLife I have not taken the plunge yet and cooked with Quinoa, now that you have cooked with it does your husband make any positive comments or does he still give you the "Look" that it sounds like you and I are all too familiar with?

I do have a spiralizer though, no comment yet but I am waiting for the ball to drop any day now, LOL!

Honored Contributor

@CareBears wrote:

@RespectLife I have not taken the plunge yet and cooked with Quinoa, now that you have cooked with it does your husband make any positive comments or does he still give you the "Look" that it sounds like you and I are all too familiar with?

I do have a spiralizer though, no comment yet but I am waiting for the ball to drop any day now, LOL!

@CareBears

When I made it plain as per pkg. instructions, he hated it.  So now I 'jazz' it up.

I will post a couple recipes that he loved...

Southwestern Black Bean, Quinoa and Mango Medley

1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 c. cooked quinoa (cooked according to package directions)
1 c. frozen corn, thawed
1 small red bell pepper, diced
1 medium mango, peeled and diced
1/4 c. finely chopped red onion
1/2 c. chopped fresh cilantro
1 medium jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely diced
1 medium avocado, diced

DRESSING:
Juice from 1 large lime
1 1/2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. ground turmeric

For the dressing, combine lime juice, olive oil, minced garlic, cumin, chili powder and turmeric in a jar with a tight fitting lid; shake well until combined.             Store in the refrigerator until ready to use.

For the salad, in a large bowl, gently stir together the black beans, quinoa, corn, red pepper,  mango, red onion, cilantro, jalapeno and avocado until well mixed.

Drizzle the dressing over top; toss lightly until combined.

Cover and refrigerate until serving time. 6 servings.

Esteemed Contributor

@RespectLife Now this recipe I could get him to eat, thank you so much!

Honored Contributor

I think maybe Adore shared this recipe....

Greek Mediterranean Quinoa Salad - Serves 6

What makes it tasty is flavored broths and herbs as well as diced scallions, diced onions, and other diced veggies. quinoa always needs flavored broths, herbs, spices, veggies, and other flavorings, to jazz up the taste.

Ingredients:

• 2 cups chicken stock
  • 1 cup quinoa
  • 1/2 cup red pepper, diced
  • 1/2 cup green pepper, diced
  • If you wish you can also add some grape or cherry tomatoes.
  • 1/4 cup green onion, diced
  • 1/4 cup Greek Kalamata Olives (remove pits)
  • 1/4 cup red onion, diced
  • 3 ounces Greek feta cheese

Dressing:

In a sauce pan bring stock to a boil.  Stir in quinoa, reduce heat to medium low and cover.  Cook 15 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed.    Stir vegetables and cheese into cooled quinoa.

Whisk together the dressing ingredients and pour over the quinoa mixture and toss well to incorporate all the flavors. This can be served hot or cold.

ALWAYS rinse very very well before cooking, even if your package says pre-washed. If you don't, the grains have a coating that will give a bitter taste.

There are different types of grain - black, red, and the regular (white?). Each has its own distinct taste - I like to combine the three when I cook them. You can buy the tri-grain quinoa.

And I always boil my quinoa in vegetable or chix broth. Again, it adds flavor. I usually use plain water to which I have added a tablespoon of "Better Than Boullion" vegetable base.

Then - to make a salad, just add any number of things (cut in small pieces, makes everything blend better) - tomatoes, cucumbers, avocados, roasted red or yellow peppers, scallions, kalamata olives, feta cheese, asparagus, etc etc - salt, peppers, and just a splash of lemon vinegar.

Honored Contributor

For DH to 'love', I have to be sure to cook the quinoa in a broth or juice...never water....

One Pan Mexican Quinoa

Yield: 4 servings Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 25 minutes Total Time: 35 minutes
Wonderfully light, healthy and nutritious. And it’s so easy to make – even the quinoa is cooked right in the pan!

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeno, minced
1 cup quinoa
1 cup vegetable broth
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (14.5 oz) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
1 cup corn kernels, frozen, canned or roasted
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 avocado, halved, seeded, peeled and diced
Juice of 1 lime

2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves

Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.

Add garlic and jalapeno, and cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Stir in quinoa, vegetable broth, beans, tomatoes, corn, chili powder and cumin; season with salt and pepper, to taste.

Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat and simmer until quinoa is cooked through, about 20 minutes. Stir in avocado, lime juice and cilantro.
Serve immediately.

This delicious recipe brought to you by ****** Delicious
http://damndelicious.net/2014/04/09/one-pan-mexican-quinoa

Honored Contributor

This is his favorite...the recipe is for rice, but I subbed quinoa many, many times.

CALYPSO RICE (QUINOA)

Good with barbecued meat, chicken or fish!

1-1/2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup pineapple juice
1 cup rice (QUINOA)
1 med onion, chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 orange bell pepper, chopped
1/2 t turmeric (leave out or sub curry or dry mustard)
1/2 t salt
1/8 t black pepper
1/4 cup chopped parsley

In a med saucepan bring broth and juice to a boil over high heat.

Stir in remaining ingredients except parsley.

Reduce heat to low and cook covered to about 20 minutes.

Remove from heat and let stand covered for 5 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed.

Toss rice (QUINOA) with fork and sprinkle with fresh parsley.

Esteemed Contributor

@RespectLife Thank you again for the recipes, I am going to be introducing Quinoa to our menu in the next couple of weeks, and thanks also for all the helpful tips, if you hear a scream coming from the midwest area of the country, it is probably my husband afraid of trying something new before he even tastes it, LOL!

Honored Contributor

@CareBears wrote:

@RespectLife Thank you again for the recipes, I am going to be introducing Quinoa to our menu in the next couple of weeks, and thanks also for all the helpful tips, if you hear a scream coming from the midwest area of the country, it is probably my husband afraid of trying something new before he even tastes it, LOL!

@CareBears

LOL

You are very welcome.  If you hear a scream coming from the East coast, it is my DH afraid of trying polenta.

That is next on my bucket list to try!