Honored Contributor

Have you made David's mother's sausage balls or bites?

Years ago David Venable had a recipe in the Insider for his mother's sausage balls.  It combined hot Italian sausage and Bisquick.  DH loved these and of course I have lost the recipe.  So low and behold I ordered a couple of his QVC cookbooks and this recipe shows up under Sausage Bites.  This is my problem.  It appears you combine RAW sausage with the Bisquick mixture.  You make one inch balls and cook  20 minutes.  Will this produce done sausage or am I reading this incorrectly?

Valued Contributor

Re: Have you made David's mother's sausage balls or bites?

I don't know for sure but if it were me I would fry the sausage till no longer pink.  Then the grease stays in the skillet and not the Sausage Balls.  I have made a different recipe and it called for cooked sausage.  

Honored Contributor

@depglass wrote:

Years ago David Venable had a recipe in the Insider for his mother's sausage balls.  It combined hot Italian sausage and Bisquick.  DH loved these and of course I have lost the recipe.  So low and behold I ordered a couple of his QVC cookbooks and this recipe shows up under Sausage Bites.  This is my problem.  It appears you combine RAW sausage with the Bisquick mixture.  You make one inch balls and cook  20 minutes.  Will this produce done sausage or am I reading this incorrectly?

That's probably correct, the balls are supposed to be small, you could bake them for up to 30 minutes.   Yes, the sausage is raw when mixed.

That recipe has been around a long time,  you can find it on the Betty Crocker website.  It's a southern staple.

Valued Contributor

Trisha Yearwood has made them as well if you look at her recipes on the Food Network site.

Valued Contributor

Could you please post the recipe from David's cookbook. I have seen several of these recipes online and they all seem to use varying amounts of Bisquick and cheese. I would greatly appreciate your time.

Happy New Year.

Trusted Contributor

@depglass  Yes the sausage will cook.  I have made these for years but always cooked the sausage first.  This year we decided to not cook it and just mix with the Bisquick and cheese.  It worked just fine, couldn't tell the difference.

Trusted Contributor

I found the recipe on the Bisquick box and it even states "yes, raw sausage".  I made half the recipe on the box and it still made 40 little sausage balls.  Since I was using for a 'pre brunch' bite, I used breakfast sausage and cheddar and they were quite tasty dipped in a raspberry/chipotle sauce I bought at a local gourmet store.  My niece and nephew devoured them before I could even taste them!  I have made them since and found them yummy. If I use hot Italian sausage, I use an Italian mix of cheeses and dip them in marinara sauce. Don't worry, the sausage will cook.  

Respected Contributor

I have made sausage balls for years and always use raw sausage when mixing.  You make them out in small balls and bake them off in the oven. Never ever had a problem.  I've never heard of cooking the sausage first.  JMO.

Respected Contributor

Been making these for years..1/2 hour is plenty of time to cook a small one.....I don’t know if the mixture would hold together as well, if the sausage were pre cooked...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@QPrincess Found the recipe online here it is. HTH

Sausage Bites

1 T canola oil

½ c finely minced onion

2 ½ c Bisquick

1 lb hot pork sausage, casings removed

2 ½ c (10 oz) shredded white extra-sharp Cheddar

2 large eggs, beaten

2 T unsalted butter, melted

2 t ground sage

1 t paprika

1 t kosher salt

Mustard Sauce

1 c whole grain Dijon Mustard

1 c mayonnaise

1 T heavy cream

¼ c minced fresh parsley

1 t paprika

1 T honey (optional)

Preheat oven to 350° Line baking sheets with parchment paper.

To make sausage balls, heat canola oil in skillet over medium heat. Add onion & cook until translucent, 5-6 mins. Put cooked onion, Bisquick, sausage, cheddar, eggs, butter, sage, paprika & salt in bowl. Using your hands, mix well until combined.

Shape mixture into 1” balls. (The balls can be frozen on baking sheets, then transferred to plastic bags for 1 month.) Arrange balls 1” apart on prepared baking sheets. Bake 15-20 mins, until the balls are slightly puffed & cooked through.

To make sauce, whisk together the mustard, mayo, cream, parsley & paprika. For a sweeter sauce, stir in the honey. (The sauce can be made & refrigerated several hours in advance.

Makes 50-60