Honored Contributor

Re: Have you made David's mother's sausage balls or bites?

20 minutes is plenty of time to cook sausage in a 350-375 degree oven.   

My husband drives me nuts with overcooking sausage until its tough.   

Valued Contributor

Thank you so much Nightowlz.

It is different than the typical cheese, bisquick one. The reason I was seeking this one is that almost everything recipe I have seen on line uses varying amounts of cheese and bisquick, along with different baking temps and times.

I appreciate your time.

If anyone else has a recipe that they like to make sausage balls , I'd love it if you would share.

Thanks again for finding this.

Regular Contributor

This is the Sausage Ball recipe I always use.  I use raw sage sausage and mix it in with the other ingredients.  My family loves these so I always make a double batch.  I bought a new baking pan last year and it's a lot thicker than my old one so I bake these a little longer than the recipe calls for.

Yields 53

1 lb. uncooked sausage
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
2 cups Bisquick

Combine ingredients.  Roll into 1-inch balls and place on an ungreased baking sheet.  Bake at 350° for 15 minutes.
Respected Contributor

The size of the balls is about the size of a quarter. They are meant to be a bite and sausage does shrink in cooking. I like to mix in some sharp cheddar to compete with the seasoned sausage. You can use any sausage flavor or mix them to lighten up the hot one with more regular sausage in a 1 to 3 mix. Just a hint of heat is nice. I do like to bake them on a wire cooling rack on the baking pan so the fat drips away better. They are also crispier since they aren't in the fat of the sausage as it melts. You can get too much Bisquick and they are more dough, so be careful there. Sage sausage would be nice as well.
Honored Contributor

@depglass  The following recipe is for meatballs and these are so tasty.  I was at a party years ago and my friend served these and I got the recipe.

Italian Meatballs

4 slices whole what bread soaked in 3/4 c. milk (you can use white if you don't like wheat)

1 lb. ground veal and

1 lb. ground round

1-1/2 t.salt

1 t. minced onion

1 egg slightly beaten

2/3 c Parmesean cheese (I use Kraft)

1/2 t. pepper

1/8 t. garlic salt

1 t. sweet basil

2 T. minced fresh parsley

Soak bread in milk and beat until fluffly.  In separate bowl place your meats and pour the bread mixture over the meat and add all other ingredients and mix.  Form 2-1/2 in. balls (they are on the small size like taking the meat mixture off a tablespoon.  Fry low to med. heat in butter and keep turning about 20 minutes.  If you are opposed to butter use olive oil.  Makes about 20 meatballs.  If you don't want to stand around for 20 minutes, you can always brown and then place in the oven at 325 to cook the meatballs through.  You could serve as an appetizer with a favorite sauce or serve with spaghetti & sauce.  Enjoy.  Also serve with a small salad and garlic bread.   Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yum... all your recipes sound delicious and exactly what I was looking for to make in my air fryer.  On one of my air fryer groups had posted the "Odom's Tennesse Pride Sausage Balls", but, I have not found them in my area yet.  Your recipes sound just like the pre-made balls.

fully-cooked-sausage-balls-88943.png

may good luck be your friend in whatever you do
and may trouble be always a stranger to you
Respected Contributor

depglass, Go online to Bisquick.com and the recipe should be there, it has been around for a long , long, time. And you can always tweek it.

Respected Contributor

Chicagoan, Thank-You so much for the update. I will look for them.