Honored Contributor

Re: Has anyone tried Rao's soup?

@YayItsCK wrote:

These soups are just white-labeled versions of the same generic soups you've already eaten under many different names and franchises, only pricier and in nicer packaging and finished with a prettier label.

The chicken noodle and the Italian wedding soups are the same tired soups you've had a million times before. Rao's ain't cooking nothing here. They are just buying a mass produced product, putting it in a sauce jar, and then slapping their label on it. Cha-ching, cha-ching for all of that.

That being said, the soups are still very good, even if completely familiar.

Chris

@YayItsCK  Thank you for doing all the research and letting us know they bought someone else product. What other companies buy this same product?

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe  The two I've tried, minestrone and bean with pasta, were both delicious. Unlike some, I'm lukewarm on their marinara, which I think is over-rated, but the soups are very good.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Gosh I had forgotten about this thread!

I agree, after having eaten a couple other varieties I am glad I got mine at "great" prices as I certainly would have been bummed if I had paid full price.  They are ok but just not worth the premium price.

My favorite is still their Italian Sausage and Mushroom sauce.  Since it's just me, it's pefect for my needs/taste buds and I truly love it!  Heart

Regular Contributor

I'm a big fan of their sauces but not so much of their soups.

I tried  a few and wouldn't purchase them again.

Honored Contributor

RAO’s marinara sauce is my usual go to - I usually buy a 2 jar bundle on our Costco run. I also like the pizza sauce but it requires a special I hr, round trip to a store I normally don’t shop at in order to get it.  The soups sound good by the label names but after reading the nutritional and ingredient labels, I see they are not in compliance with my ketogenic lifestyle so I’ll be passing on them.

Respected Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

Hi @Coquille !  Yes I was surprised to see the soups in my local Meijer ad so I am going to jet over there next week.  I did some snooping around and apparently they just launched their soup line at the beginning of October and according to this article they are available at many stores including Walmart:

https://www.thekitchn.com/raos-soups-reviews-22953698

Hmmmm, I didn't know Costco carried their sauces.  I'll have to look if they have the one I love (the Italian sausage and mushroom).  Thanks for the heads up!

@momtochloe @Costo carries the basic, you will have to add your sausage and mushrooms. BJs also sells the sauce.

Honored Contributor

I have wondered about their soups and their frozen dinners.  I'm not a soup eater but my husband is.  He's also a big fan of lasagne.

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess , I didn't know Rao's has frozen dinners?  I'm going to have to look into that.  I have treated myself to their pasta and I have to say it was worth the splurge/extra money.

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe yeah, they come in a plain kinda beige box.  Not like all the other frozen stuff with the beautiful pictures on the boxes.  

Honored Contributor

Is this the same company that makes pasta sauce? I didn't know they made soup, I have never seen it where I shop.