Honored Contributor

Honey Mustard Chicken - Chicken simmered in a homemade honey mustard sauce. Super easy, super fast! www.recipetineats.comHoney Mustard Chicken - Chicken simmered in a homemade honey mustard sauce. Super easy, super fast! www.recipetineats.com

HONEY MUSTARD CHICKEN

PREP TIME
7 mins
COOK TIME
10 mins
TOTAL TIME
17 mins

This is a homemade version of the popular Honey Mustard simmer sauces sold at supermarkets. The Honey Mustard Sauce is slightly tangy, sweet and beautifully creamy. Great for chicken, pork, turkey and fish.
Author: Nagi | RecipeTin Eats
Recipe type: Dinner
Serves: 4
INGREDIENTS
  • 700g / 1.4 lb chicken tenderloin or chicken breast cut into thick strips (Note 1)
  • Salt and pepper
Seasoning (optional - Note 2)
  • 2 tbsp flour
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
Thickener
  • 1 tbsp mayonnaise (Note 3)
  • 1 tsp cornstarch / cornflour or 2 tsp flour
Sauce
  • 1½ tbsp + ½ tbsp olive oil
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 cup chicken broth / stock (250ml)
  • ¼ cup Dijon mustard (70g)
  • ¼ cup honey (85g)
Optional Extras (I used these)
  • 1 - 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard (adjust to taste)
  • 2 sprigs thyme or ½ tsp dried thyme (Note 4)
  • Fresh parsley, finely chopped

INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper, then toss with Seasoning if using.
  2. Thickener: In a small bowl, mix together the mayonnaise and flour.
  3. Heat 1½ tbsp oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Add chicken and cook for 2 minutes on each side or until golden. Remove onto a plate.
  4. Reduce heat to medium. Add remaining oil in the middle of the skillet and put garlic straight onto the puddle of oil. Sauté for 20 seconds or until golden (don't let it burn).
  5. Add chicken broth, bring to simmer, scraping the bottom of the fry pan.
  6. Whisk in Dijon Mustard and honey, then whisk in Thickener (make sure you scrape it all in).
  7. Add thyme and wholegrain mustard, if using.
  8. Cook for 1 - 2 minutes or until starting to thicken. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
  9. Return chicken and any juices pooled on the plate into the sauce. Turn to coat and reheat through - about 1½ minutes - or until sauce is thickened to your taste.
  10. Serve on mashed potato, garnished with parsley, with a simple side salad.

NOTES
1. If you use chicken breast, like I have, cut it vertically into 1cm 2/5" thick strips (so they are like chicken tenderloin pieces). But feel free to cut it as you please (bite size, pounded thin etc). If you cut it into bite size pieces, you will need a touch extra flour, garlic powder and oil (because more there is more surface area). There is enough sauce.

2. The seasoning for the chicken is optional - still fab even without, but it adds extra flavour on the chicken and makes it a little bit more golden and crispy. You could also add other flavourings, like paprika, onion powder and even mustard powder. I usually don't use the seasoning when I make this as a quick meal.

3. I use mayonnaise because it has flavour and adds a bit of richness to the sauce, but it's not critical. You could easily use chicken broth or water- just need something to dissolve the cornflour in.

4. The thyme is optional, I like adding a herb just for another layer of flavour. It can also be substituted with: rosemary (1 small fresh sprig / pinch of dried), 4 tarragon leaves (fantastic), 1 tbsp fresh oregano leaves or ½ tsp dried.

5. Posh it up: To glam it up, finely chop a couple of eschallots and saute with the garlic in butter. Then add a splash of white wine to "deglaze" the pan (i.e. scraping the brown bits off the base to mix into the liquid) before proceeding with the recipe. Use French Dijon mustard instead of normal Dijon mustard and use tarragon leaves as the herb - this makes it taste very "restauranty".

6. Nutrition per serving, assuming 4 servings and that all the sauce is consumed (which of course, it will be!)

NUTRITION INFORMATION
Serving size: 289g Calories: 453 cal Fat: 13.8g Saturated fat: 1.1g Unsaturated fat: 12.7g Trans fat: 0g Carbohydrates: 24.0g Sugar: 18.1g Sodium: 888mgFiber: 0.8g Protein: 58.9g Cholesterol: 151mg

Honey Mustard Chicken nutrition per serving, assuming all sauce is consumed.
Honey Mustard Chicken Nutrition.
CATS ARE HEAVEN SENT
Honored Contributor

Ok just a note 700 Grams is 1 1/4 lbs of chicken not 1.4 lbs to me that looked like 1/2 lb so I check on the conversion

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@catlover

This really looks good!  Thank you for sharing!

I have never had a Honey Mustard Simmer Sauce....Honey Mustard Chix Wings yes!

I can't wait to try this!  It sounds wonderful for pork too!

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@catlover

Hi!  

Thank you for posting this recipe.  It was our dinner this evening and we had seconds!  I especially liked your personal "suggestions" that were sprinkled throughout the directions.  ❤️   It tasted like I spent hours in the kitchen... But it was so easy.  A very delicious way to jazz up chicken. 

I added a little touch of my own by serving it on a bed of mashed potatoes that had mashed sweet potatoes swirled through them.  😀

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Honored Contributor

@rrpell

thank you so much-I cannot take the credit though..................I found a fabulous food blogger named Nagi-Recipe Tin Eats-she's fabulous!

CATS ARE HEAVEN SENT
Valued Contributor

@catlover

Wow! I just checked out Nagi's website.  Lots of good recipes to try! 😀

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Honored Contributor

She truly is pretty amazing!

That's how I found out about "velveting" the chicken...a real game changer.

CATS ARE HEAVEN SENT
Valued Contributor

Thank you for sharing.

Honored Contributor

@catlover wrote:

@rrpell

thank you so much-I cannot take the credit though..................I found a fabulous food blogger named Nagi-Recipe Tin Eats-she's fabulous!

@catlover doesn't Nagi have great and easy to follow recipes?  I get her daily email blast and just love what she sends out . . .  really a great site!

Valued Contributor

Thank you so much for Nagii's site. Her recipes are awesome. Had never heard of her before.