Valued Contributor

Is there a difference between confecionary sugar and powdered sugar ? Thanks.

Contributor

No difference.  Same thing

Respected Contributor

Confectioners/powdered sugar may also be referred to as 10x sugar.

Respected Contributor

Now that we are talking about powdered sugar, do you know that all brands are not created equal....

I bought the Kirkland brand or whatever Costco sells, ended up throwing it out, my frosting was terrible and came to the conclusion it's the powdered sugar.

Brought Sam's and that's just OK, better than Costco but the best is C&H.  My frosting is smooth, not so sugary sweet and overall, the consistancy is so much better.  There's a few off brands too but now I know after trial and error what works and what doesn't.

So, I'm thinking what's the difference, been reading and it's the amount of corn starch that's added to the product as an anti caking agent....now that makes sense why the consistancies are different.  

Trusted Contributor

Good to know. Thank you.

Respected Contributor

illinois8 wrote:  Confectioners/powdered sugar may also be referred to as 10x sugar.

Although we all use it interchangeably, confectioners' sugar can only truly be called "10X" if it has been milled that many times. That speaks to the fineness of the texture.  The grading ranges from 3X to 14X, with 10X the most commonly found in the stores.  

Another thing to look for is 3% cornstarch added in 10X sugar.  It needs to be there to prevent caking.  Even so, I sift confectioners' before using, especially if decorating a cake.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Esteemed Contributor

I had no idea! I don't bake very often, but this is good info to know. When I need "powdered sugar" (I get confused with the confectioner sugar name), I buy C&H - only because that's what my mother bought. Thanks for the great information and tip.

Honored Contributor

I only use Domino (which I think is the same as C&H, just sold under a different name in different regions).

Domino Sugar

Gold Medal Flour

Land O'Lakes Butter

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN