Honored Contributor

Anyone remember this creamy rice dish that had pineapple and whipped cream in it? Was it eaten as a dessert? My DH was describing it to me but I have no recollection of the dish. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Glorified Rice

[ Edited ]

@AuntG , here's a wiki page that explains the dis and its origin.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glorified_rice

And here is a recipe for it

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/pineapple-rice-pudding/

Some recipes include miniature marshmellows.

Frequent Contributor

My Mom made that often, back in the day.

I recall, it made with cooked white rice cooled and canned crushed pineapple

including the juice, chopped maraschino cherries including the juice and maybe some white sugar and cool whip.

Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

My grandmother used to make this and serve as dessert.  I think she used to add sugar, pineapple, mini marshmallows, and whipped cream to cooked white rice.  I remember it was tasty.

Respected Contributor

@AuntG   Yes, I remember my life long native Rhode Island father-in-law making and realy liking this.  He and his family were quite poor so when he made it he used whole milk instead of cream.  I recall him putting quite a bit of sugar in it, too.

To me it tasted  nothing like the "real" rice pudding that I was accustomed to but I ate it when it was offered just to be gracious.

Honored Contributor

I have heard of it. I've had something similar with no rice in it.

Honored Contributor

I would call this rice pudding.  We have a brand in our area called Kozy Shack that is pretty good.  Maybe I'll add some pineapple to it.  

Esteemed Contributor

I made this dish quite often many years ago.   Haven't made it lately though.  I loved it, but my DD never did like it!  It is quite sweet, so I always used it as a dessert dish. But others I know, served it as a sweet salad!!