Honored Contributor

I have a hankering for gazpacho and have never made it at home. I thought I might try it out this weekend. 

Do do any of you have a tried and true recipe you'd like to share or a link to a good one?

So looking forward to any input! Thanks!! 😋😋😊

Esteemed Contributor

@Bonanzajellybean wrote:

I have a hankering for gazpacho and have never made it at home. I thought I might try it out this weekend. 

Do do any of you have a tried and true recipe you'd like to share or a link to a good one?

So looking forward to any input! Thanks!! 😋😋😊

Hey @GenXmuse, how are you doing? I really love gazpacho and I just started making it a few years ago and I have tried several recipes that I like so I will copy and paste them hear for you. When I try a recipe the first time, I always try it as written the first time unless I see something I know I really will need to change. For instance i know I love garlic so I know one clove will never do! lol! 

INGREDIENTS

• About 2 pounds ripe red tomatoes, cored and roughly cut into chunks
  • 1 Italian frying (cubanelle) pepper or another long, light green pepper, such as Anaheim, cored, seeded and roughly cut into chunks
  • 1 cucumber, about 8 inches long, peeled and roughly cut into chunks
  • 1 small mild onion (white or red), peeled and roughly cut into chunks
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar, more to taste
  • Salt
  • ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil, more to taste, plus more for drizzling
  •  
    Nutritional Information

PREPARATION

1. Combine tomatoes, pepper, cucumber, onion and garlic in a blender or, if using a hand blender, in a deep bowl. (If necessary, work in batches.) Blend at high speed until very smooth, at least 2 minutes, pausing occasionally to scrape down the sides with a rubber spatula.
  2. With the motor running, add the vinegar and 2 teaspoons salt. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil. The mixture will turn bright orange or dark pink and become smooth and emulsified, like a salad dressing. If it still seems watery, drizzle in more olive oil until texture is creamy.
  3. Strain the mixture through a strainer or a food mill, pushing all the liquid through with a spatula or the back of a ladle. Discard the solids. 
  4. Transfer to a large pitcher (preferably glass) and chill until very cold, at least 6 hours or overnight.
  5. Before serving, adjust the seasonings with salt and vinegar. If soup is very thick, stir in a few tablespoons ice water. Serve in glasses,over ice if desired. A few drops of olive oil on top are a nice touch.

Now I use an Anaheim pepper because I can't always find Cubanelles. I do believe they are a little hotter too but that is ok with me as I like spice. Sometimes though if it isn't a spicy Anaheim I will add some jalapeno. Totally your preference though.I would say do not substitute this with regular green pepper though. One time I forgot to get a pepper altogether and I used all I had on hand and that was a regular green pepper. I felt it was really watery. Also I always use English cucumbers as they have less seeds and thinner skins. 

Many people use a blender. I don't. I use a food mill. I like a little texture to it and I feel the blender obliterates it.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

The next one is probably my favorite. It is Alton Browns. I will just give you the link to the Food Network site where it is. This is definitely not a traditional gazpacho but I happen to like the cumin and Worcestershire sauce addition. I do not add the lime though.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/gazpacho-recipe-1937573

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

Also traditional gazpacho has bread and no basil, lime, oregano, red peppers, and probably many other things. Now i have had traditional gazpacho in Spain that was made with bread and I did like it there but I can not recreate that and to me it tasted weird with any combo of the bread that I have tried here. I don't know why that is. Perhaps that is because of the bread they used or the huge amount of wine I drank that night in Spain making everything taste great. I suspect it is the latter. 

It doesn't bother me if it isn't "traditional" though. Food is always changing and changing for the taste of the people that make it so as long as you like it, make it with ingredients you like.

JFK
Respected Contributor

Here is the version I prefer:

Chilled Gazpacho
Curtis Stone | TODAY recipes | June 23, 2009

Makes 6 servings

2 pounds ripe tomatoes (about 6), coarsely chopped
1 cup chicken stock
1 cup reduced-sodium 100% organic vegetable juice cocktail
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
½ cucumber, peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped
½ red bell pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped
1 5-inch piece baguette bread, crust removed
1 shallot, coarsely chopped
1 garlic clove, bruised
½ teaspoon ground coriander
½ teaspoon ground cumin                                 
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
½ cup finely diced peeled seeded cucumber, for garnish 
3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil

Combine the first 11 ingredients (to line) in a large bowl. Cover and refrigerate for 12 hours.

Transfer the marinated ingredients to a food processor or blender and blitz until smooth. Refrigerate the soup until it is very cold. Season the soup to taste with salt and pepper.

Ladle the chilled soup into chilled bowls and garnish with the finely diced cucumbers.

Drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil and serve.

Mrs. G's note:  A little chopped cilantro is good to add to the garnish.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Trusted Contributor

There is a nearby restaurant (Sanibel Island) that features a delicious white gazpacho with thin sliced almonds on top.   I'm sorry I don't have a recipe. 

Honored Contributor

@Irshgrl31201

Wow! Thank you so, so much for going to all the trouble to post the recipes and spend time providing all your notes, asides and information!  That made me smile! 😊  And my mouth water!

Did you know that I had to google food mill?  I had heard of them but wasn't sure exactly what they did. So nice to learn something new. 

I'm with you on the garlic! Since when is one clove enough?!  I like things with a kick-I've not tried an Anaheim pepper so I want to try something other than my standby jalapeño!

And I just bought sherry vinegar the other day so I'm psyched to have that already. 

Thr Alton Brown one sounds like a nice twist.  I'm not opposed to a little Worcestershire sauce at all. Using bread in gazpacho is interesting. I've made panzanella which I love too!  Thank you again for the recipes and your personal notes on it!  😊😋💐

@IamMrsG So, so glad you could help me out here. Your recipe sounds delicious. There are so many recipes online that I didn't know where to start. I knew you all would have something!  You are such a treasure trove here!  Thank you so much-I appreciate it! 😋💐😊

Honored Contributor

Here are my regulars:

Yellow Gazpacho from Canyon Ranch

https://www.canyonranch.com/blog/recipes/yellow-gazpacho/

Chilled Cucumber Soup from Canyon Ranch

https://www.canyonranch.com/blog/recipes/chilled-cucumber-soup-with-arugula/

This one is not a traditional gazpacho, but close enough:

Cool Cucumber Soup from Ellie Krieger

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ellie-krieger/cool-cucumber-soup-recipe-1939996

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@VaBelle35 Thank you so much fo posing those links. I seriously love cucumbers so these look delicious!  🌸⭐️🦋

Trusted Contributor

@Dawnie   That soup sounds so good!  I had never heard of White Gazpacho before your post, so I just googled it.  There are quite a few recipes online, so you might take a look and see if any of them sound like the soup you've eaten.  If so, let us know which recipe sounds like it might be close.