Respected Contributor

Re: GERMAN CHOCOLATE FUDGE similar to Mamie Eisenhower's--from 1981 Southern Living Christmas Book

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44

Maybe you haven't seen a recipe containing this much sugar because you've never made 5 pounds of candy at one time.  It takes a lot of sugar to make 5 pounds of fudge, or it won't turn out to be fudge.  If we asked  the Hershey or Nestle companies how much sugar it takes to make 5 pounds of candy, they would probably say "a lot."

I don't know anyone who eats 5 pounds of fudge on their own or at one time.  I don't eat candy at all because I just don't like sweet things, but I don't lecture others who do.  A waste of time and breath.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: GERMAN CHOCOLATE FUDGE similar to Mamie Eisenhower's--from 1981 Southern Living Christmas Book

I love all these fudge recipes, I really enjoyed reading them.  I have always heard the Mamie Eisenhower fudge is especially good and that she was really known for it.  Thanks everyone for posting them.  I think I am going to try one of the ones with sweetened condensed milk.  

Trusted Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

I don't think I've ever seen a recipe with so much SUGAR ....  the only thing missing is a quart of high fructose corn syrup!    Yikes.     

This might have been an okay dessert in Mamie Eisenhower's day, but with all most people know about nutrition, who in their right mind would actually eat this stuff?      

(Sorry, don't mean to be critical, but this recipe is absolutely shocking with how bad it is for a person.)

DITTO. Way too much SUGAR. Not appetizing at all.