Trusted Contributor

Don't know why I have never tried them but would be pleased if anyone has a good recipe for Funeral Potatoes. Would prefer fresh potatoes but open to try using frozen ones. TIA!

Esteemed Contributor

@Epicurean  There are so many versions, but here is the Pioneer Woman's recipe:

Funeral Potatoes

Ingredients

8 tablespoons (1 stick) salted butter

One 28- to 32-ounce bag frozen shredded hash brown potatoes

1 medium onion, finely diced

1/4 cup all-purpose flour

1 cup milk

2 cups low-sodium chicken broth

Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

1 1/2 cups grated Monterey Jack cheese

1 cup sour cream

1/2 cup grated sharp Cheddar

2 cups kettle-cooked potato chips

1/4 cup grated Parmesan

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with 1 tablespoon of the butter. Take the potatoes out of the freezer while you are preparing the rest of the ingredients.

Heat a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat, then melt 6 tablespoons of the butter in it. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions start to soften, 3 to 4 minutes. Sprinkle the flour over the onions and stir to incorporate. Cook for a minute or 2 to cook out the raw flour, but do not let it color. Whisk in the milk, making sure to get out all the lumps. Add the broth and whisk again if there are still lumps. Bring the mixture to a simmer and allow it to thicken, about 3 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Turn off the heat and stir in the Monterey Jack, sour cream and Cheddar. Add the hash brown potatoes and mix everything together. Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish.

Melt the remaining 1 tablespoon butter in a small pan. Put the potato chips and Parmesan in a bowl and crush the potato chips. Pour in the melted butter and toss to coat. Sprinkle the crumbs over the top of the potatoes.

Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes, then remove the foil and continue baking until golden brown on top and bubbling around the edges, about 15 minutes more. Let rest for 15 minutes before serving.

Respected Contributor

Not sure I would want to eat something called 'Funeral Potatoes" !

Respected Contributor

Thanks for posting the recipe, I see why they call them Funeral potatoes with all of the fat, calories, carbs! 

Occasional Contributor

At church we call them Funeral Potatoes because they were always served at the church after the funeral.  They are delicious and everyone always likes them and they serve many people.  They are a staple at all of our church meals.

Honored Contributor

You bring the funeral potatoes, we provide the casket!Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

On an episode of " A Chef's Life ," I remember Sheri Castle saying, " casseroles are for the hungry and heartbroken." This recipe is the ultimate comfort food, and seems like perfect funeral food.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

@Epicurean May I ask where you live? I’m just curious if this recipe name is regional as I’ve never heard of it.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Funeral Potatoes

[ Edited ]

I'm in the Midwest and have heard them called Party Potatoes as well as Funeral Potatoes...whatever you call them, they're good, although the recipe posted is a little different than I've seen. It sounds great though. I question whether the potatoes will bake in such a short amount of time - usually they're baked for an hour. Here's the recipe I've used in the past:

Party Potatoes

1 bag (32 oz) frozen hash brown potatoes

2 cups sour cream

1 can cream of chicken soup, undiluted

1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted

1/2 cup chopped onion

1 tsp salt (or to taste)

1/2 tsp pepper

1 cup french fried onions (from the can)

In a bowl, combine the first 8 ingredients. Pour into an ungreased 1 1/2 quart baking dish. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Sprinkle french fried onions on top; return to oven for 10 minutes.

Trusted Contributor

I think I have had this before, going by the ingredients, but it was called Hash Brown casserole.