Valued Contributor

I've made fruitcake for many years but this year wonder if most cut the cherries in half or in 4ths.  I alway cut them in 4 but after looking at some to buy I see a lot have half of a cherry.  I suppose it's what a person likes but wonder do most of you cut them in 4ths.  This year I was going to buy some fruitcake but after looking as some reviews I decided to make them myself.  I was not happy with the golden raisins I usually buy.  Does anyone buy them online, next year will not buy from the grocery store.  I remember checking the raisins when a child helping mom make the fruitcake and never saw so many stems and leaves and darker than they should be raisins.  It took me over an hour to check them for stems and any other problems with them.  Quality has sure gone down.

Honored Contributor

@kismet -

Hi Kismet!

I have never made fruitcake, but I will gladly eat it for you!

I know I would much rather have half cherries in there then quarters, if that helps. And also regular raisins rather than golden which I don't think I've ever had. Sunmaid raisins have always been good.

It must be a lot of work. 

My sister used to make it every year for my father. She put lots of brandy in it!😆 It was really good. Before that, our grandmother made or ordered it for him every year. And our great grandmother made it before that!

The best one I ever had also had pineapple chunks in it too. It took out some of the bitterness, you know that kind of bite? Maybe that comes from the raisins?

I sure wish I could help you taste it! You know, make sure it's ok!😁

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

I would do BOTH.  Mostly quarters but some halves. It was fun to see a few BIG pieces BUT the halves always snagged during the cutting and either pulled out of the cake or looked ragged.  Snugging the halves into the batter on the top whre you can still see them when the cake is done might solve that.  Enjoy making your festive fruitcake!

If you use booze maybe plump up the sultanas in a warm drink of burbon before you bake them. That makes a "Warming" little bite indeed!

Esteemed Contributor

Just love mine whole, just like my mom did.

Respected Contributor

I always leave the cherries whole.  I usually get the glacé cherries, but couldn't find them so I will use some from a jar of maraschino cherries.  I also use regular raisins, not golden.

I had to buy my mixed fruit online this year....grocery store didn't have it.  First time ordering from nuts.com ... being delivered today.  

I will be making my fruitcake tomorrow!

Frequent Contributor

I there anyone on this planet that even likes or wants fruitcake? Not me!

Honored Contributor

@2Kittys wrote:

@2Kittys  Well, yes. Everyone on this thread including me. You're the odd man out.

Respected Contributor

Me!! I purchased the Grandma's BakeShop Fruit and Nut cake from a recommendation on this board - it's SO good!

Frequent Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@2Kittys wrote:

@2Kittys  Well, yes. Everyone on this thread including me. You're the odd man out.

Maybe it's an East coast/West coast thing. I'm West coast.

Respected Contributor

@2KittysThat is interesting. Why would that make a difference? and if it does  What is it about the Fruitcake that you don't care for?