Respected Contributor

@candys mine wrote:

@alicedee  Brava!  they're beautiful!  Please post a picture of the finished cake sometime. Furitcakes are SO prety.

They are cooling in the pans as I type!  If I get them out with no breakage I will definitely take a picture!

Respected Contributor

@alicedee wrote:

@candys mine wrote:

@alicedee  Brava!  they're beautiful!  Please post a picture of the finished cake sometime. Furitcakes are SO prety.

They are cooling in the pans as I type!  If I get them out with no breakage I will definitely take a picture!

Taste test....turned out great!  Moist and yummy!

F03B7951-B502-4C83-9EB8-A1BB3F6D4AA6.jpeg

Honored Contributor

I attempted to make fruitcake a couple of years ago. It cost a fortune for the ingredients and was a total cake wreck! Never again. I stick to Claxton fruit cake or Texas Yahoo cake when I can find it.

Honored Contributor

Thank you for starting this thread @kismet .  I am from the south,

my family and I L O V E!  Fruitcake, and homemade is the BEST.

We soak ours in Brandy,  serve with whipped cream and a fork, 

or eat it out of hand.

Happy Season to you!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

YUM!  The cherries came out Great!  The Christmas season Has Arrived!

Honored Contributor

@2Kittys wrote:

I really don't know how to describe it. It's like when I read stuff posted here, it feels to me like everything is "home town" or "home body", always in the kitchen cooking or baking, always making quilts, a lot of knitting. I'm from Ca. (now from Vegas), and I don't know anyone who does stuff like that.  One time, my SIL and I went to a wedding, and the wedding cake had 1 tier was fruitcake. It was like a brick! We both started laughing so hard, not getting why anyone would have that as their wedding cake. We both ate around that tier, and left it behind. 

@2Kittys 

I know many people from the CA and Vegas area, they cook, bake, etc.  Some of us here also live in big cities.  The comments ‘home town’, ‘home body’, ‘always in the kitchen cooking’ are clearly your idea of put downs.

Seems that a Post Heading ‘Re: Fruitcake’ might be a tip off that it’s not your thing.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Trusted Contributor

For those who "tweak" the recipe and don't add pineapple, big chunks of fruit, etc, here's an option (it also keeps your cake very moist).

At Walmart, Great Value Dried Berries and Golden Raisins. This is a mix of golden raisins, cranberries and red cherries. I add this to my dark raisins and chopped green candied cherries and well chopped walnuts. Works beautifully and no chopping; just measure and pour. Smiley Happy

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Trusted Contributor

@alicedee wrote:

@alicedee wrote:

@candys mine wrote:

Taste test....turned out great!  Moist and yummy!

F03B7951-B502-4C83-9EB8-A1BB3F6D4AA6.jpeg

Good job.  I bet they are delish.  You should be proud of your accomplishment.