Frequent Contributor

Just had Spam yesterday evening.  Sliced and fried in a sauce of brown sugar, mustard, vinegar and water.  Mmmmmm.  Candied meat!

Esteemed Contributor

That sounds yummy.  Would like the recipe.

I love Spam fried rice.  Goes well with soy sauce.

Honored Contributor

Slice it really thin, put it on a beautiful silver bread plate along with four hand-made crackers, mustard sauce, and sprigs of watercress, charge me $20 for it at a fine restaurant and call it what it is:  Pâté.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

I have never ate Spam so I have no idea what it tastes like???

@Nightowlz It tastes like meat with a high fat content and quite a bit of salt.  

I don't understand the "horror" of it.  It's just meat, with fat and salt.  Nothing to be grossed out by or anything.  Just food that an awful lot of people have eaten, and something pretty important in helping a lot of folks survive war and poverty.

I figure if it were a French thing it would be revered, not an object of scorn. 

@Sooner 

I figured it probably tasted like ham. If it's high fat high salt I don't even need to try it.  

I think the grossed out part about it is meat in a can. We don't eat much canned food at all. We try to stay away from it.

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

@Nightowlz 

As a lover of Spam my entire life, my best description of how it tastes, is that it tastes like pork.   

Spam is made from pork shoulder and ham; my cans of lower sodium Spam also list chicken as an ingredient.   Spam does not look, nor taste, like a mystery meat product.   I do classify the canned meat products Treet and Potted Meat, as mystery meats; I have never fed them to my family.   Vienna Sausage is a favorite of mine, but once or twice a year satisfies me, just like my craving for a Big Mac.   

90% of the time we fry our Spam in the air fryer, but on occasion I grate the spam, add chopped onion, sweet relish and mayo, for a sandwich filling.   

@RedTop 

Now I could try a low salt version. I don't want to try the regular if it's high fat high salt. DH said he has never ate it either.

We do like pork so we will just stick to it. We love BBQ.

Esteemed Contributor

Pork with lots of fat and salt...what exactly is bacon?  

Trusted Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

I have never ate Spam so I have no idea what it tastes like???

@Nightowlz It tastes like meat with a high fat content and quite a bit of salt.  

I don't understand the "horror" of it.  It's just meat, with fat and salt.  Nothing to be grossed out by or anything.  Just food that an awful lot of people have eaten, and something pretty important in helping a lot of folks survive war and poverty.

I figure if it were a French thing it would be revered, not an object of scorn. 

@Sooner 

I figured it probably tasted like ham. If it's high fat high salt I don't even need to try it.  

I think the grossed out part about it is meat in a can. We don't eat much canned food at all. We try to stay away from it.

It kind of reminds me of a canned ham.

I grew up eating it because my Mom liked it, so she would buy it and fry it for us and would serve it with scrambled eggs.

I still like it today and will make it the same way when I do eat it.

I don't buy it that often anymore though, due to its salt content.

My husband doesn't like it either, and since it's just the two of us I try to make foods that we'll both eat.

Trusted Contributor

I bought a can of lower-sodium spam to try.  To my taste buds, it was extremely salty!  This could be because I tend to follow a low-sodium diet.

Honored Contributor

About one bite was all I could manage as a child.  I felt like my taste buds have not changed enough to try that nastiness again.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

I am tempted to try Spam.

Growing up my Dad said if my Mom ever brought Spam into the house, he would divorce her. During WWII he literally lived on Spam for over a year. He was in the desert in North Africa. 

So I have never had Spam. But one day I want to try it.

During WWII, meat was was really hard to find so we ate a lot of spam. After the war when meat was more available, we never ate spam again!