Honored Contributor

Fresh Apple Cake

[ Edited ]

This recipe is one of the moistest, most delicious fresh apple cake recipes that you've ever tried!

It is courtesy of one of the recipe forum's longtime posters, BritBrit, who apparently isn't here with us anymore.

Be prepared to print out the recipe any time it's served, 'cause you will definitely be asked for it and BTW, I did double the glaze as BritBrit suggested, LOL!

By BritBrit:

So moist, and one thing use a whisk on the topping the whole time!! don't stop it will get like a light caramel color....well first its a white color then as you whisk it it darkens..WOW!!its so good..I might just double it the topping the next time.. also make sure you put the topping on it while its hot.

Fresh Apple Cake

CREAM IN A LARGE BOWL OR STAND MIXER:
2 stick margarine
2 c sugar

ADD:
2 large eggs

IN A SEPARATE BOWL, COMBINE:
2 1/2 c all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon

ADD DRY INGREDIENTS TO THE MARGARINE MIXTURE. MIX IN:
3 c finely chopped apples
1 c chopped walnuts
2-3 Tbsp milk

GLAZE:
3/4 c sugar
1/2 c margarine
1/4 c buttermilk
1 Tbsp light corn syrup
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp real vanilla extract

Directions:
1. Follow the above steps to make the cake batter.

2. Grease and flour a 9x13 pan Spread apple cake batter evenly in pan.

3. Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes to 1 hour, or until a toothpick comes out without raw batter on it.

4. While cake is baking, combine all the glaze ingredients except the vanilla in a medium pan. Stir and cook to to a rolling boil. Remove from heat and add 1 teaspoon of vanilla.

5. Pour and spread glaze over hot cake as soon as the cake is removed from the oven.

6. Let cake cool completely before serving. The longer it sits, the better it gets!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

Re: Fresh Apple CakeThis recipe

That looks delicious 😋 thanks 

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom 

I have been making a very similar recipe for years (but since I am allergic to walnuts, I use pecans).  The only difference in the original recipe I have and yours is that I do not use corn syrup or vanilla flavoring but instead use cane syrup and maple extract.  It is a very good cake!  Those changes are minimal and are to the glaze instead of the cake.  I highly recommend this recipe, both yours and mine.

Honored Contributor

This was my MIL’s favorite cake and along with pound cake was the only cake ever found in her house.   

Honored Contributor

I make a smaller version of this cake for the two of us in a round cake pan:

Topping:

4 tbsp butter

1/2 cup brown sugar

4 peeled and cored Granny Smith apples cut into 1/2" slices

Cake:

1/2 cup sour cream

1 egg and 1 yolk

1/2 tsp vanilla

1 1/4 cups flour

3/4 cup sugar

1/2 tsp baking powder

1/4 tsp baking soda

1/8 tsp salt

8 tbsp room-temperature butter cut into chunks

Topping:  Heat butter in skillet over medium-high heat to foaming, stir in sugar.  Cook until sugar turns dark brown.  Fold in apples to coat.  Cook until apples begin to soften and juice is thickened, about 6 minutes.  Pour into greased 9" cake pan.

Cake:  Whisk 1/4 cup sour cream, egg and yolk, and vanilla together in small bowl.  In big bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder and soda, and salt to blend.  Mix in butter and 1/4 cup sour cream with electric mixer for 2 minutes.  Beat in sour cream/egg mixture until batter is fluffy.

Spread batter in thin layer over apples in cake pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.  Cool on rack for 5 minutes. 

Place serving plate on top of cake pan and invert.  Let sit for 1 minute to pull away from pan.  Remove cake pan.  I like this served warm with vanilla ice cream.     

Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

@KingstonsMom 

I have been making a very similar recipe for years (but since I am allergic to walnuts, I use pecans).  The only difference in the original recipe I have and yours is that I do not use corn syrup or vanilla flavoring but instead use cane syrup and maple extract.  It is a very good cake!  Those changes are minimal and are to the glaze instead of the cake.  I highly recommend this recipe, both yours and mine.

@Nonametoday 

I'm not allergic, but I just don't care for walnuts, so I use pecans too.

As with all recipes, I tailor them to my and my family's taste!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks a lot.  Now I have drool on my keyboard!!

This looks & sounds marvelous!  Thanks for posting.

Denise
Honored Contributor

@denisemb 

Trust me Denise, you and everyone who tries it will love it!

Glad to share the love!

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom 

Thanks. Loooks yummy! May try this for a Thanksgiving dessert. 

Respected Contributor

I have made that cake in the Fall for many years.  A lovely elderly friend from my church family gave me the recipe.  She had lived in Washington state, known for their apple crop and I have to agree, it is one of the best recipes, ever!