Honored Contributor

French Crepes for Candlemas Feb 2 revised version

The only line from Luke describing the trip to the Temple has been removed..I am sorry I missed it @Alice moderator..I hope this is satisfactory

By Michelle DiFranco | January February 2019
The Candlemas Connection

If Candlemas be fair and bright, Come winter, have another flight.
If Candlemas bring clouds and rain, Go winter, and come not again.

Those are the words of an old English poem which helped inspire a tradition that takes place here in the U.S. every Feb. 2, dating back to 1887. On Groundhog Day, the fate of spring is determined in the quaint town of Punxsutawney, Pa. If the groundhog “Punxsutawney Phil” sees his shadow, it means six more weeks of winter. And if not, we’re in for an early spring!

And while thousands gather near Gobbler’s Knob, the small hill where the ceremony takes place, millions of people across the Atlantic in France celebrate Feb. 2 by feasting on crepes for what they call Crêpe Day or La Chandeleur. So what do these traditions have in common? Like many secular holidays recognized on the modern calendar, Groundhog Day and La Chandeleur both have a Christian connection. That’s right, if it wasn’t for Mary and Joseph bringing their infant Son Jesus to the Temple in Jerusalem, neither would exist!

Feb. 2 marks the final day of the 40-day Christmastide season, and is the feast of the Presentation of our Lord, or Candlemas Day. Forty days after Christ’s birth, Mary and Joseph, following Mosaic law, brought Jesus to the Temple in Jerusalem for the rites of purification and dedication. 

While at the Temple, Simeon, a “righteous and devout” man, gave his prophecy about Christ being a light to the Gentile nations and alluded to his crucifixion. Since around the seventh century and in acknowledgment of Simeon’s prophesy, the faithful would host a special procession and blessing of candles during Mass on this day. Hence the name “Candlemas.”

That celebration, associated with Simeon’s prophesy has evolved into both Groundhog Day and La Chandeleur. In France, La Chandeleur has also come to be known as Crêpe Day, as the customs of the celebration have morphed over time and now include the consumption of crepes. And in the United States, German settlers in Pennsylvania blended the Christian  Candlemas holiday with other superstitions, which held that a hedgehog (from where they came) could predict weather, manifesting in the quirky tradition of Groundhog Day.

I suspect most casual observers of either holiday are not aware of the Christian origins of the festivities of Feb. 2 ... and it wasn’t until recently, that I learned of this. But it does make me think differently about the news report that arrives each year revealing the outcome of Groundhog Day and how much more winter it portends. And I’m willing to bet that delicious crêpes would bring cheer to me or anyone, especially if Punxsutawney Phil does predict a longer winter!

French Crêpes

• 1½ cups flour
•  3 eggs
• ¼ teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon sugar
• 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
• 2 cups whole or 2% milk
• 3 tablespoons butter melted
•  Butter (for coating the pan)

In a blender, combine all ingredients and blend on medium-high speed (or pulse) until completely emulsified. Cover batter and let rest for 20 minutes. The batter can also be stored in an airtight container in the fridge overnight.

Heat a small amount of butter in 9- or 10-inch frying pan over medium to high heat. Pour ¼ cup of batter into the pan. Tilt the pan to spread batter as thinly and evenly as possible. Cook for about a minute, or until bottom is light golden brown in areas. Gently lift edges and flip with a spatula. Cook the other side for an additional 10-20 seconds, or until light golden brown in areas. Repeat process for remaining batter. Serve warm with your favorite fillings!

S

Trusted Contributor

Re: French Crepes for Candlemas Feb 2 revised version

Merci Beaucoup @cherry !  You had me at "French Crepes"!  Oh la la.

Honored Contributor

If anyone is interested ,I can supply you will several more recipes for Crepes

Trusted Contributor

@cherry  I haven't made crepes since I found out about my food allergies so I'm going to give your recipe a whirl with my flour substitute.  I figure if I spread enough Nutella on it, it will be delish.  Giggles.  Thank you for sharing this.  I greatly appreciate it.

Honored Contributor

@Misplaced Parisian  the English make theirs with sugar and lemon juice for a filling and they are very good too

I will bring over a few more recipes for you

Trusted Contributor

@cherry Oh....sugar and lemon juice on a crepe would be marvelous with a cup of tea.  Thank you for telling me.  I'm going to reseach this.  Squeals of glee.

Honored Contributor

Strawberry Cream Crepes

INGREDIENTSBasic Crepe Recipe
  • 3/4 cup flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
  • 2/3 cup milk
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 tablespoons oil
  • 2 egg 

Strawberry Filling

• 4 cups sliced fresh strawberries
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 14 ounce ca sweetened condensed milk
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream — whipped
  • 8 dessert crepes
  • 8 whole strawberries to garnish
Details

Serves: 4

Prep Time: 30 minutes

Difficulty:  ★★☆☆

Cost:  ★★☆☆

For Ages: n/a

Origin: France

show
Food Categories (1)

show
Similar Recipes (4)

show
Feasts (3)

"Pancakes are traditionally served on Candlemas and Shrove Tuesday, to celebrate renewal, family life, and hopes for good fortune and happiness in the future. It is customary in France to touch the handle of the frying pan, and make a wish while the pancake is turned, holding a coin in the hand..." (Larousse Gastronomique, Jenifer Harvey Lang, New American Edition [Crown Publishers: New York] 1989 (p. 332)

DIRECTIONS

Mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together in bowl. Beat eggs, milk, water and vanilla together. Add to remaining ingredients. Beat mixture lightly; ignore lumps. Heat oil until almost smokey in skillet. Pour small quantity of batter in and rotate pan so batter spreads evenly. Cook until light brown; turn and brown other side.

Sprinkle sliced strawberries with sugar; set aside. Beat milk with lemon juice until thick. Fold in strawberries and whipped cream. Divide among crepes; fold. Garnish with additional whipped cream and a strawberry centered on the cream.

Recipe Source: Recipes from Various Websites

Honored Contributor

Crepes Suzette

INGREDIENTS

• 2 whole eggs
• 2 egg yolks
• 2/3 cup sifted all-purpose flour
• 1 tablespoon sugar
• 1/8 teaspoon salt
• 1 3/4 cups milk
• 1 teaspoon vanilla
• 2 tablespoons butter, melted
• 1/4 cup fine granulated sugar
• 1 teaspoon orange rind, grated
• confectioners' sugar

Details

Yield: 14 pancakes

Prep Time: 1 1/2 hours

Difficulty:  ★★☆☆

Cost: ★★☆☆

For Ages: 15+

Origin: France

Also Called: Crêpes Suzette; Paris Crêpe Pancakes; Crepe Pancakes

DIRECTIONS

Beat eggs. Gradually add flour mixed with 1 tablespoon sugar, salt. Stir in milk, vanilla; beat until smooth. Add butter; reserve 1 hour.

Heat and butter 6-inch skillet. Pour 1 1/2 tablespoons batter in pan. Rotate pan quickly to spread batter evenly and thinly over entire surface. Cook 1 minute each side. Turn out on clean towel. Sprinkle with sugar combined with orange rind. Roll up. Dust with sifted confectioners' sugar. Repeat until all batter is used.

Recipe Source: Catholic Cookbook, The by William I. Kaufman, The Citadel Press, New York, 1965

Honored Contributor

Crepes Saint-Gwenole

INGREDIENTS

• 3 eggs (for more tender crepes, use only the yolks)
• 1 1/2 cups flour, sifted
• 1 cup milk
• 1/2 cup water
• 4 tablespoons butter, melted
• 2 tablespoons orange liqueur
• 1 tablespoon sugar
• 2 tablespoons grated orange rind
• powdered sugar (superfine, not confectioners')

Details

Serves: 4

Yield: 12 crepes

Prep Time: 2 1/2-3 hours

Difficulty:  ★★☆☆

Cost: ★★☆☆

For Ages: 15+

French crepes.

DIRECTIONS

1. Beat the eggs. Gradually stir in flour, then milk, water, and butter. Batter must "rest," covered and in the refrigerator, for at lesat 2 hours (overnight is fine).

2. Stir in orange liqueur, sugar and grated orange rind.

3. Select a small frying pan, preferably one with low sides, no more than 7 inches in diameter. Oil or butter it for each crepe.

4. For each crepe, pour about 3 tablespoons of batter into warm pan and rotate to spread batter evenly over surface. Batter should be very thick. (Trial and error will determine best heat or necessity of adding a few tablespoons of milk to thin batter slightly, etc.) When one side of crepe is golden, run spatula around edge of crepe, then under it, and turn it to brown other side. As each crepe is done, sprinkle powdered sugar on the surface and fold it in quarters. Stack and cover with waxed paper. Serve the crepes warm.

Recipe Source: From a Monastery Kitchen: The Classic Natural Foods Cookbook by Brother Victor-Antoine d'Avila-Latourrette, Gramercy Books, 1997

Honored Contributor

Crepes for the Feast of St. Bernadette

INGREDIENTS

• 4 eggs lightly beaten
• 2 cups milk
• 1 Tablespoon Canola Oil (or any veg oil, just not Olive oil)
• 3/4c. to 1 cup flour (depending upon how thin or thick you prefer)
• 1-2 Tablespoons sugar
• 1/4 tespoon salt (kosher)

Details

Yield: 8

Origin: France

DIRECTIONS

Blend first three ingredients until frothy, add last three ingredients and blend until you have a nice smooth pourable batter. Pour about 1/4 cup batter onto a med-high heat griddle or very large non-stick saute pan. (You need room around your crepe to get your spatula under it to flip) Use a spoon to lightly swirl your crepe into a large disc, be careful not to tear the batter, if you happen to, just spoon a little batter into that spot Smiley Happy Cook for about 30 seconds on each side until lightly golden, and then stack 'em up on a platter for serving at the table. Of note: you may have a crepe pan at home and if you like that give it a whirl, personally my favorite cooking surface for these is my stove top griddle.

This recipe works for either sweet or savory crepes, I would just omit the sugar if your fixing for a dinner crepe!

Fill with any of your favorite *pancake* type items, like maple syrup, powdered sugar, applesauce, yogurt, peanut butter, jams, honey, strawberries and whip cream.