Valued Contributor

PhilaLady1, my mom ate those like crazy in the 1960's. They didn't do a thing for her, except give her an excuse to eat glorified candy.

Honored Contributor

I like kale in soup.  But I wouldn't have it in a salad.  What else is it used for?

Honored Contributor

@PhilaLady1 wrote:

The chewy candy square that was supposed to help you keep your appetite under control and therefore aid you in losing weight.  They were called Ayds.  Bad timing, soon came along the tragic AIDS virus. That caused the end of that diet chew.

See the source image

Yes, I remember my cousin was always trying to lose weight with Ayds.  Unfortunately. AIDS put an end to Ayds. Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

I like kale in soup.  But I wouldn't have it in a salad.  What else is it used for?

My niece coats it with olive oil and salt, then bakes it.  She calls it Kale Chips.

Respected Contributor

Re: Food fads come and go

[ Edited ]

In more recent years, Coconut Oil  had been said to be beneficial and useful in so many ways. Now, I have been reading that it is not the best thing.

Also, remember in the 90's when people became more  aware

of trying to lower cholesterol? So many food products were being promoted as having "low fat". That usually meant that more sugar or salt was added to make it more palatable.

Now it is carbs being targeted as the culprit in trying to lower cholesterol.

I also remember the cabbage soup diets and South Beach diets . Never did them, though. 

Respected Contributor

@Enufstuff  my gynecologist recommended coconut oil as a moisturizer for  dry skin "down there"  LOL

Respected Contributor

Re: Food fads come and go

[ Edited ]

Cauliflower this..........and cauliflower that, including pizza crust.  

Beets.

The old belief that "wheat is the staff of life"........not so much now that people believe carbs are bad.

Honored Contributor

@Runner26 wrote:

Anyone remember Snackwell's? Ironic.

Screenshot 2022-07-24 075612.png

I loved these!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@Sweet Kitties wrote:

PhilaLady1, my mom ate those like crazy in the 1960's. They didn't do a thing for her, except give her an excuse to eat glorified candy.

My roommates and I liked those so much,we couldn't stop eating them. I guess they didn't work for weight loss 😅

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

I remember we shouldn't eat butter, so margarine was promoted. Then we shouldn't eat margarine. Round and round we go.

And remember too how we should eat low carb but then yes more sugar and salt was added to those so at least they might taste a little ok.

There used to be a drink I think that started with an S or maybe a p?😄 that was super promoted at first in health food stores. Haven't heard anything aobut it for years. Also innositol.