Respected Contributor

Fish types--benefits, downsides, etc.

[ Edited ]

Another thread about fish led me to look up my favorite types, (mainly salmon, trout, flounder, red snapper, tuna).

Found a detailed source of info at 

Healthline dot com.

Can't post a direct link due to QVC rules, but you get the idea for more than you probably ever wanted to know about fish.

After reading some of the fish facts on Healthline, I definitely don't want to eat fish farmed in China, where  animal manure--which can be infected with salmonella-- is reportedly used as fish food.

And no matter how many millions of people love catfish, I have never knowingly eaten it and never will!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Fish types--benefits, downsides, etc.

Since you took a crash course in fish....you might be good person to ask...........

there's catfish and bullhead............

are they the same fish just called different names or a totally different tasting ?

Believe they both have the 'horns' - but not sure.  I'm familiar only with bullhead (yes, a bottom feeder)

Respected Contributor

@fthunt 

If you look up a particular type of fish on wikipedia or healthline, you'll find that just about any   commonly known fish is part of a much larger family of fish types with different names.

Honored Contributor

Farm raised catfish is very good to eat.

The ponds are kept clean, the fish eat nutritious food, there's a good article "Is Catfish Healthy?" on the site you referenced.

On the other hand,  tilapia has become very popular but the health benefits are not as good as other fish, including catfish.   again, from an article referenced in your post.

Eating wild caught is usually the best option.  This country is blessed with such a great variety of food sources, why would you buy from anywhere else?

@novamc1 wrote:

Another thread about fish led me to look up my favorite types, (mainly salmon, trout, flounder, red snapper, tuna).

Found a detailed source of info at 

Healthline dot com.

Can't post a direct link due to QVC rules, but you get the idea for more than you probably ever wanted to know about fish.

After reading some of the fish facts on Healthline, I definitely don't want to eat fish farmed in China, where  animal manure--which can be infected with salmonella-- is reportedly used as fish food.

And no matter how many millions of people love catfish, I have never knowingly eaten it and never will!

Esteemed Contributor

Both of us are safe as neither of us eat fish of any kind. 

Honored Contributor

Count me in as a catfish eater.  Rarely do I eat it deep fried.  I usually brush with butter, sprinkle on some Zatarain's Cajun seasoning, and saute.

As far as health benefits go, I don't really follow that.  I remember when it used to just be eat more fish. Then it became eat more Salmon.  After that it had to be wild caught Salmon, and now it's wild caught Salmon from some specific place.  Give me a break.  No wonder poor people can't eat healthier if that's the yardstick healthier is measured by.  

Esteemed Contributor

And I remember when you didn't eat fish and drink milk.  School lunchrrom couldn't serve it together.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't remember the no fish/milk rule.

In fact, one of my favorite things served in the elementary school lunchroom was  fish sticks.

Fish were new to me back then, as we never had any seafood at home. other than creamed tuna and peas on toast whenever Dad went out of town.  He didn't care for seafood.

I notice my granddaughter likes fish sticks, too.  It must be a kid thing!