Trusted Contributor

Re: Favorite summer vegetable

~ I love fried okra, but I peel the batter off of it.

And love corn on the cob cooked on the grill with butter, bit o salt and pepper.

~love hard~~play hard~~be kind~~~life is short~
Honored Contributor

I love lots of veggies and eat a good variety, but heirloom beefsteak tomatoes are my favorite summer veggie (fruit).  I just discovered them last year.  I was at the local organic farm store several times a week for tomatoes an they were expensive.  This year we're growing our own (2 plants).  We're also growing Rapunzel cherry tomatoes.  

Honored Contributor

Corn, lightly cooked, on the cob with lots of butter and salt, in a tie with okra, sliced, rolled in cornmeal and sauteed until crispy but still soft in the middle.  It would be hard to choose one. 

Respected Contributor

Grilled corn on the cob.

Honored Contributor

Fruits are usually more seasonal than veggies but we love all produce...lunch is usually a hearty veggie salad   

Some favs:

Variety of lettuce, but especially butter head...sometimes a wrap.   Lightly steamed swiss chard filled with raw veggies, avo, sprouts, tahini sauce.  Spiralized zuchinni with fresh pesto and tasty home-made veggie burgers in the dehydrator.  Cucumbers so refreshing with a taziki sauce made with nut yogurt/fresh dill. On a cold day fresh corn chowder made with coconut milk and thai sauce or a hearty veggie filled minestrone soup (home-made veggie broth).  Chopped kale salad massaged with avocado, lime, and pine nuts...stuffed red peppers with quinoa, mushrooms, and roasted pecans. Sprouts in mason jars rotate every 3-5 days. Cauliflower crust pizza with veggie topping of roasted artichokes/mushrooms/chopped tomatoes, kalamata olives. Slices of fresh jicama served with fresh guacamole.  

Enjoy sharing the bounty with friends/family.   

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Fresh sweet corn! I just put it in a pot of cold water and bring it to a boil. Then turn the heat off and let it sit for 5 minutes before putting it on a plate covered with a clean dish towel. Yum!

Esteemed Contributor

Fresh green beans cooked with bacon fat.

Second would be cucumbers.  My favorite way to prepare them is sliced with onion and make the sweet pickling syrup liquid with dill.  However, I can eat them sliced plain or with dip.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

@deja vu   Have you tried Roasted Okra? 

I think someone on here mentioned it and I tried it.  Unbelievably delicious!  Try Pinterest for recipes.

Trusted Contributor

Home Grown Tomatoes! Song by John Denver.

https://youtu.be/OwRn7A-TWrQ

Also Marai sweet corn.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Respected Contributor

@Drythe I love any/all tomatoes any size, shape and color!  My favorite is sliced tomatoes sprinkled with Lemon Pepper.  I have this everyday!