Respected Contributor

Attention Fans of Julia Child

Casting Duo of Sherman Oaks, a reality show casting company, is looking for "passionate and skilled" home cooks for a show about mastering Julia Child's cooking techniques. Oh boy!

That's all I know. Just posting.....

Honored Contributor

Re: Attention Fans of Julia Child

I'll get right over there. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

Casting Duo of Sherman Oaks, a reality show casting company, is looking for "passionate and skilled" home cooks for a show about mastering Julia Child's cooking techniques. Oh boy!

That's all I know. Just posting.....

@PickyPicky3 @Wish I was younger and had more energy. I have such bad fatigue that I don't cook anymore, but in the past, I cooked and mastered techniques. I've also forgotten almost everything I learned. Makes me sad.  I have every one of her cookbooks and I have cooked every dish in Mastering the Art of French Cooking. I make the best chocolate flourless cake, a recipe Julia got from her friend Simca while she was living in France with her husband. 

Honored Contributor

Oh goody.  More no-nothing home cooks.  Let's certainly NOT get a trained chef.  

You know if I wanted someone to teach me Julia's food (I know how because I read and have cooked the whole book and have learned the basic techniques over 50 years) I'd go with Emeril. 

He is a nut case but he KNOWS food and how to cook! Martha is not a trained chef, but the woman does know food and cooking!  I miss David Rosengarden a lot because he talked about real food prep.  

The only Food Network show I watch is Ina when I can find it.  Most of the others I have seen are just a joke.  

Honored Contributor

@PickyPicky3   Have you seen the movie Julie & Julia?  If not, you must see it.  I loved it and Meryl's Streep's portrayal of Julia.  I remember watching her PBS shows, and just tonight when serving DH dinner, I said, "Bon Appetit," mimicking Julia as she said it, lol.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mindy D 

Your accomplishmnts are impressive even if you've forgotten some things. Cat Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@mousiegirl 

I saw this movie years ago and really enjoyed it.

Meryl was wonderful as Julia.

Honored Contributor

David Rosengarten, now there's a blast from the past.  I wikied him to find out what he's doing now, he seems to have dropped out of sight.  Does anyone have any info? 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mousiegirl wrote:

@PickyPicky3   Have you seen the movie Julie & Julia?  If not, you must see it.  I loved it and Meryl's Streep's portrayal of Julia.  I remember watching her PBS shows, and just tonight when serving DH dinner, I said, "Bon Appetit," mimicking Julia as she said it, lol.

@mousiegirl @I seriously doubt most of what Julia said in her blog. I have made every recipe in the same cookbook and there is no way that Julie could have worked until 5 PM, then gone to the market, then prepped and cooked these recipes...most with many, many steps and techniques to be mastered by a novice cook, and then had a friend over for dinner and dined with them. The time frame is so far from my own experience preparing these same dishes that it is laughable. I am surprised that Julie was not met with incredulity by those that have made these recipes. I've seen the movie and read the blogs. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner wrote:

Oh goody.  More no-nothing home cooks.  Let's certainly NOT get a trained chef.  

You know if I wanted someone to teach me Julia's food (I know how because I read and have cooked the whole book and have learned the basic techniques over 50 years) I'd go with Emeril. 

He is a nut case but he KNOWS food and how to cook! Martha is not a trained chef, but the woman does know food and cooking!  I miss David Rosengarden a lot because he talked about real food prep.  

The only Food Network show I watch is Ina when I can find it.  Most of the others I have seen are just a joke.  

@Sooner @Have you made Emeril's Shrimp Etoufee using fresh gulf shrimp. You need the heads still on. When friends went shrimping they knew they needed to call me.  Unimaginable sensations will run through your body if you make the etoufee with the best ingredients. I make his Red Beans and Rice, preferring a recipe he provided to a magazine over thirty five  years ago  rather than the ones in his cook books. I prefer kielbasa to the andouille but the kielbasa isn't as good these days as it used to be. I learned to make my roux from Emeril.

I do like some of Martha's earlier recipes from her book Entertaining. I had my first tempura party using her recipes. Unfortunstely , some of her much later recipes sounded better than they tasted. I still love many of the dishes I made and techniques I learned from her. 

Julia, was my favorite. I have every one of her books. I watched every show she was on. Trying each recipe was a new adventure for me. Learned to make mousse and ganache from her. I only wish I did not suffer from very bad fatigue so I could cook again. I miss doing it so much. I also have forgotten so much since my fatigue began. I used to be able to memorize tons of recipes. Not anymore. 

I liked Giada when she was new to Food Network. I only tried a few of her recipes but the flavors were very good. 

Wanted to add that I made both Julia's and Martha's croquembouche. Martha's looked less messy on her TV show than Julia's did...don't remember if Julia's was pictured in her book or on TV, but I think it was both. I didn't care for either version, though they were very similar, almost the same. This dish is impressive looking to serve at a dinner party but the taste does not live up to the look.