Honored Contributor

Re: Favorite recipe by Hosts?

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

I love serving David's Chicken Cheesesteak Eggrolls when my family gets together. They are simple to make, and my grandchildren love to help fill and roll the eggrolls. I also like to mix it up by doing Reuben Eggrolls and Philly Style Cheesesteak Eggrolls. The oil can be strained and saved for another day. I don't have an air fryer, but I'll bet Blue Jean Chef has adapted this recipe for that.

---------

I'd like to find an air fryer adaption.  I looked up the recipe you mentioned, but said no way to frying.  I gave my deep fryer away when I painted my kitchen and saw what grease does to walls.

Trusted Contributor

I tried David Venable's Pasta Bake.  I have made it a few times (I'm making it again on Wednesday).  We don't eat all of the kinds of meat he puts in it, so I just use more chop meat (and more of it).  It's really delicious and everyone loves it.

Esteemed Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

I love serving David's Chicken Cheesesteak Eggrolls when my family gets together. They are simple to make, and my grandchildren love to help fill and roll the eggrolls. I also like to mix it up by doing Reuben Eggrolls and Philly Style Cheesesteak Eggrolls. The oil can be strained and saved for another day. I don't have an air fryer, but I'll bet Blue Jean Chef has adapted this recipe for that.

@PA Mom-mom

Would you pretty please write out the recipe? I tried to look it up, but could not find it.

TIA!

Trusted Contributor

@Harpa

Here you go -- I had to look it up for myself.  You can find David's recipes at:

http://www.qvc.com/KF_Recipes_DVenable.content.html

Cheesesteak Egg Rolls

Makes 8

[picture didn't copy -- see above address for picture]

2 tsp canola oil, plus more for frying
1/3 cup finely chopped onion
1/3 cup finely chopped red or green bell pepper, or a combination
1 (9-oz) package Steak-umm Chicken Breast Sandwich Steaks
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
6 oz Velveeta, cut into 1/8" cubes
8 egg roll wrappers

1. Heat 1 teaspoon of the canola oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and bell pepper and sauté until soft, 4–5 minutes. Transfer the vegetables to a bowl.
  2. Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil to the skillet and raise the heat to medium-high. Add the chicken to the skillet. Season with the salt and pepper. Cook the chicken until brown, 5–7 minutes. Stir, breaking up the chicken into smaller pieces. Transfer the cooked chicken to the bowl of onion and bell pepper. Toss to evenly distribute and then refrigerate until cool. When the ingredients are cool, stir in the Velveeta.
  3. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Clip a deep-frying thermometer to the side of a heavy deep pot. Add 2" of canola oil to the pot and slowly heat the oil to 350°F.
  4. To assemble the egg rolls, position 1 wrapper on a work surface like a diamond. Place 2-1/2 tablespoons filling close to the corner nearest you and spread it up toward the middle. Using a pastry brush, brush the edges with a little water. Fold the corner closest to you up over the mixture, fold the left and right corners toward the center, and continue to roll. Brush the final corner with water to help seal the egg roll. (The egg rolls can be frozen for up to 1 month before frying.)
  5. Using a slotted spoon, lower 4 egg rolls into the hot oil and cook until golden brown, 3–5 minutes, turning them halfway while frying. Transfer the cooked egg rolls to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Fry the remaining egg rolls and serve hot.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks @Honeybit for sharing the recipe. I'm at work and just saw this.

Esteemed Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

---------

I'd like to find an air fryer adaption.  I looked up the recipe you mentioned, but said no way to frying.  I gave my deep fryer away when I painted my kitchen and saw what grease does to walls.

@AuntGI just did a quick search and found a tutorial on YouTube for Reuben Egg Rolls in an air fryer. I don't see why you couldn't do the same thing for David's recipe. It looks like you just make the roll, spray it on both sides and air fry at 400 for 4 min each side.

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you very much, @Honeybit!

Et vous, @PA Mom-mom!