Honored Contributor

Re: Fancy European butter vs. ordinary butter

We use Kerry Gold too. I buy from a local farmer when they have it.

Before that I used Organic Valley butter.

Aldi had a new Simply Nature Organic butter last week when I was there so I bought a box to try.

I also freeze butter that I vacuum seal.

Respected Contributor

I never knew butter in your refridgerator had to be used within a month. Yikes!  I know I've used butter that was in there longer than that.  I just bought a box of sticks of butter two weeks ago.  Better get those babies in the freezer.

Respected Contributor

@novamc1   Extremely interesting, informative post.  Thank you for sharing it.  I read the Washington Post but missed this article.

Honored Contributor

To my butter loving friends, I too am a big fan of Kerry Gold but if you happen to see it I also highly recommend Finlandia.  It isn't always easy to find but whenever I find it on sale I buy as much as I can shove into my freezer . . . Smiley Very Happy

Trusted Contributor

Having been raised on French butter, I know the difference. 

Honored Contributor

I just watched an episode of "Martha Bakes". The topic was "pantry milks".  The expert and Martha agreed that American recipes are more suited for American butters.  They said that European butters are excellent for eating, but they can change or even ruin a recipe.

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for the tip regarding Finlandia @momtochloe .  You've never steered me wrong, so I will look for it!

@shoekitty  I, too, freeze my butter.  I've been doing that for years and have never had a problem.  

Honored Contributor

Oh @Citrine1  I hope you like it as much as I do.  It was recommended to me and I had a hard time finding it but now it seems to be much more available.  I love Kerry Gold but if I have a choice, for me, it's Finlandia!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@momtochloe 

A new item that just came to Aldi is some made-in-Ireland European Butter under the Aldi house brand of Countryside Creamery. 

Label says it comes from grass-fed cows.

An 8-oz slab of the butter was priced today at $2.49.

Tubs of Kerry Gold are still being sold there, but maybe not for long?

Honored Contributor

@novamc1  I cannot thank you enough for highlighting this new find as I love me some delicious butter!  Thank you my friend, it is on my list the next time I cruise by there.