Honored Contributor

Re: Fancy European butter vs. ordinary butter

@GingerPeach Is that due to the breed of cow the Europeans use vs the US?  Enquiring minds.

Honored Contributor

@roster wrote:

Wow! Too long to read. Just post the link.Too much!!!!

@roster I have been told that links to the Washigton Post are forbidden here, so posting a link would result in either the link or the entire thread being deleted.  Why take that chance?  It's the same amount to read whether you read it here or at the original source.

Honored Contributor

I read the whole article.  It was great.  I thought I knew everything about butter.  But I dont!!!  I use  Strauss and plugra organic valley.  Strauss can have a very high fat content, less water...., so now I know why it can be drier when baking

Honored Contributor

I use Kerrygold butter on a daily basis that I purchase at Costco but also keep one pound of name brand unsalted butter on hand. 

Trusted Contributor

Excellent article. Thank you for posting the article sans ads, etc. Reminds me of how Martha Stewart would explain differences. Length of article is fine.  

Honored Contributor

@novamc1 

Thanks for posting - lots of good information.

I bought Kerry Gold, on the recommendation of my food forum friends. There's no going back. It's far superior to the grocery store brand that I'd always used.  I still use the cheap stuff for most baking and cooking, but we use the good stuff on toast, muffins, etc.

~ house cat ~
Valued Contributor

Thank so much for posting - very informative!

Honored Contributor

Thank you. That was very helpful. If you just posted a link people would complain saying they don’t want to click it and then someone is posting it’s too long to read and wanted a link. Not sure what good that would do as the article is the same there!

anyway, thank you. 

Honored Contributor

I buy store brands of salted butter; to me, butter is butter, just like eggs are eggs.   I don’t overthink either.   

Honored Contributor

Do all of you freeze extra butter?  I started doing that after watching a alton brown show on butter.  Works wonders.  Especially if it is onsale.  Also, I live in a small town that doesnt always carry certain brands.  When I go to whole foods or traders in the "big city". I stock up, and freeze