Honored Contributor

Re: Fancy European butter vs. ordinary butter

Land o Lakes has a European style butter that is quite good

Honored Contributor

Hi @Icegoddess 

Guernseys and Jerseys give, in general, A2 milk.  Holsteins A1.

Interestingly, along with goats and sheep, human milk is also A2, which makes sense with regard to easier digestibility.

Jerseys are so cute!

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

I buy store brands of salted butter; to me, butter is butter, just like eggs are eggs.   I don’t overthink either.   

Shoekitty said:  my  mom and my daughters are like that.  I am the odd duck.  I overthink  eggs like crazy.  I thought.... this is ridiculis, spending this much time on a product when I go to a new store. I settled that matter..  I only buy trader joes jumbo organic brown eggs.  They are vegan fed, uncaged and so forth.  Most of all, they are good.  I notice the difference in that and butter. In fact a fried egg slowly cooked in butter,  oh my.  We eat a dozen eggs ever 2-3 months.  But I do love Taco Bell egg tacos.  They probably are not real eggs

Honored Contributor

@shoekitty,

Yes, I always have butter in my freezer.   

Respected Contributor

I don't bake and butter lasts me a long time, but I buy Kerrygold unsalted.

Respected Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

I only buy trader joes jumbo organic brown eggs.  They are vegan fed, uncaged and so forth.  Most of all, they are good.  I notice the difference in that and butter.

Ditto.

Esteemed Contributor

Guess I’ll toss my tub margarine and try some y’all mentioned. Quite an interesting article!

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

I buy store brands of salted butter; to me, butter is butter, just like eggs are eggs.   I don’t overthink either.   

I disagree.  I keep butter in a butter keeper at room temp and I can certainly tell the difference especially in consistency of European style butter vs US. Also, my husband eats eggs on a daily basis.  For awhile I was able to get fresh eggs from a girl who lived on a farm with pastured chickens.  My husband commented on how much harder the shells were and that they tasted better.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for posting this....if I was left with a link, I probably wouldn't have checked it out. That said, I've bought Kerry Butter for a higher price than my normal Land O'Lakes, and I didn't find it to be better. There was good info in this article, but it made me realize I'm fine with buying regular stick butter for what little baking I do, and my Land O'Lakes tubs for everything else!

Respected Contributor

@shoekitty 

I'm among the folks who store butter in the freezer and take it out, one stick at a time as needed.  Have never noticed any difference in taste or performance, so I take advantage of good prices at Costco or elsewhere when it's on sale  and buy up to four pounds at a time