Honored Contributor

I got this recipe from Geoffrey Zakarian daughters cookbook and tried is out tonight.

4 T unsalted butter
1 med onion, diced
3/4 t ground cumin
3/4 t turmeric
3/4 t ground cinnamon
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups basmati rice
3 cups water
2 t kosher salt
1/2 t freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup dried raisins

1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted

Melt the butter in a medium pot over medium heat.  Add the onion and cook until softened, about 4 min.  Add the cumin, turmeric, cinnamon and garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 min.

Add the rice and cook, stirring constantly, for about 3 minutes.  Add the water, salt and pepper and bring to a boil;.  Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer until liquid is absorbed, about 18 minutes.  Remove from the heat.

Sprinkle the raisins and almonds over the rice, fluff with a fork and serve. 

I switched currants for raisins because I prefer them but otherwise made it as written. 

This recipe says it serves 4 but that would be generous servings.  I froze some in individual servings to use later.  

Honored Contributor

Re: FRAGRANT RICE PILAF

[ Edited ]

try substituting chicken stock or vegetable stock for the water.....it adds another layer of flavor.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

sounds like my Armenian grandmother's recipe!  think Zakarian might be Armenian!