Honored Contributor

I purchased a bag of farro at WHOLEFOODS because I've been hearing a lot about this new (to me) grain. What do I make w/ it? Ideas and recipes appreciated.

Honored Contributor

Read the package, see if there are any recipes or suggestions.  If it's a brand name, check out the brand website.

It can be used similar to rice & risotto in recipes for soup, etc.  But it takes a bit longer cooking time depending on the actual product you purchased.

@Shanus wrote:

I purchased a bag of farro at WHOLEFOODS because I've been hearing a lot about this new (to me) grain. What do I make w/ it? Ideas and recipes appreciated.

Contributor

It's wheat berries, I like it mixed in a salad. I'm sure you can find other ways of using it on any recipe site.

Frequent Contributor
Martha Stewart's Farro Risotto with Wild Mushrooms is one of my FAVORITE! If you like mushrooms you should try it.
Honored Contributor

Which farro is it? Spelt, Emmer and Einkorn are all types of farro. I'm never tried emmer, but I bake with spelt and einkorn. They can be milled into flour or cooked in water and used whole in salads like tabbouli. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

I make a small amount to put in my whole grain cereal. It's very chewy and good. What is leftover, freezes well too.

Esteemed Contributor

Seems like I've been seeing quite a few farro recipes lately.  I haven't made these yet, but they looked interesting enough for me to save.

from lifesambrosia.com:

Farro, Cranberry and Goat Cheese

Ingredients:

• 2 cups pearled farro
  • 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
  • 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 cup sweetened dried cranberries
  • 1/3 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
  • 8 ounces goat cheese crumbles

Instructions:

1. Cook farro according to package directions. Drain. Transfer to a bowl to cool.
  2. While farro is cooking, whisk balsamic vinegar, dijon mustard, garlic powder and rosemary together in a bowl. Slowly whisk in olive oil until emulsified. Allow to sit at room temperature.
  3. Once farro has cooled, toss with cranberries, parsley and goat cheese.
  4. When you are ready to serve the salad, pour dressing over the top. Toss well. Serve at room temperature.

Note: You can make this salad ahead of time and refrigerate it but just allow it to come to room temperature before serving.

from dailyburn.com

Pistachio, Farro and Kale Salad Recipe

The Skinny Per 1-cup salad:
  • 205 cal
  • 10 g fat (2 g sat)
  • 16 g carbs
  • 47 mg sodium
  • 3 g fiber
  • 1 g sugar
  • 5 g protein

Serves 6

Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes

Ingredients

1 cup farro
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
2/3 cup toasted pistachios
1/3 cup parsley
3 stalks celery, finely chopped
2 cups kale, shredded

Preparation

1. In a pot over medium heat, simmer the farro and five cups water for 25 to 30 minutes until the farro is softened but still slightly chewy. Drain in a colander and rinse with cold water to cool.
  2. In a small bowl, whisk together the crushed garlic, mustard, olive oil and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper.
  3. In a larger bowl, combine the pistachios, shredded kale, chopped parsley and celery. Toss with the dressing and serve.

Honored Contributor

@Alter Ego   Thanks for the recipes. I'll be at the grocery store tomorrow & put the ingredients I need on the list. I'm anxious to try them out.  

Honored Contributor

@Alter Ego  I made your recipe for the Farro & Kale Salad today. Delicious!!! My husband's a meat & taters guy, but he liked it, too. Thank you for taking the time to write it all out. Much appreciated & looking forward to trying other recipe. 

Esteemed Contributor
@Shanus - so happy you came back. I've never made it (yet!) so great to hear your review.

And, I simply copied the recipes; luckily they formatted well enough so I had very little clean up. Was not time consuming at all. 😀