Honored Contributor

perfect for Nov 2

I have never eaten this dish but Nigella discovered it when she was living in Italy and she loves it

Introduction

You don't actually need to have a hangover to enjoy this for breakfast (or anytime), but there is something about this easy and quick dish of eggs cooked in a fiery tomato sauce that just hits the spot when you're in need of morning-after succour.

Eggs in PurgatoryPhoto by Petrina Tinslay

Ingredients

Serves: 1

Metric Cups
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 small clove garlic (peeled)
  • ¼ teaspoon dried chilli flakes
  • 1 x 400 grams can chopped tomatoes
  • ½ teaspoon sea salt flakes (or to taste)
  • 1 large egg (or 2 eggs if needed)
  • 2 teaspoons grated parmesan (or more as needed)
  • 1 splash of chilli oil (optional to serve)
  • 2 slices white bread (or other bread of your choice to serve)
Method
  1. Pour the olive oil into a frying pan, then grate in (or mince and add) the garlic, scatter in the chilli flakes and put the pan over a medium heat, stirring, for 1 minute.
  2. Tip in the tomatoes, stir in the salt, and let it come to a bubble. It’s got to be hot enough to poach an egg in.
  3. Crack in the egg (or eggs), sprinkle the Parmesan over it, leaving some of the yellow yolk still exposed, and partially cover with a lid. Let it bubble for 5 minutes, by which time the white should be set and the yolk still runny, but keep an eye on it.
  4. Remove from the heat and serve – if so wished – sprinkled with a little more Parmesan and some chilli oil, and some bread to dunk in.

Honored Contributor

Re: Eggs in Purgatory

[ Edited ]

here is a more appetising picture and a bit about the recipe

Eggs in Purgatory

Eggs in purgatory is a classic Italian recipe. It is a simple dish of eggs in a spicy, fiery tomato sauce. This flavorful dish will reward your taste-buds.

This week, Catholics celebrate the eve of All Saints Day.  It was established November 1st 1484 by Pope Sixtus IV.  It is All Hallows Eve or Halloween as we know it today.  There is a three day celebration called Hallowtide.  It includes Halloween, All Saints Day and All Souls Day.  In Mexico, it is also know as Days of the Dead.

For Catholics, Halloween is the preparation of the upcoming feasts. All saints day (Nov 1) is an opportunity for the faithful to remember all saints known and unknown throughout the history of the church. All Souls day (Nov 2)commemorates the departed faithful who are still in purgatory and who have not yet made it to heaven.

The English called saints or holy people “hallowed” giving it the name “All hallowed day. Because it is the eve before “hallowed day” it was shortened to All Hallows Eve and then Halloween.

Eggs in Purgatory
Ingredients:

3 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium bell pepper chopped
1 small onion chopped
2 garlic cloves minced
1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
14 ounce can of crushed tomatoes
4 eggs
1 loaf rustic bread (I used sourdough)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a skillet over medium heat add the oil, pepper and onion. Saute for about 10 minutes.
Add the garlic and saute another 2 minutes. Add the tomato sauce and red pepper flakes, simmer for another 20 minutes.
Crack the eggs over the sauce. Place your skillet in the oven and allow to bake uncovered for about 15 minutes. The whites of the eggs should be set.

While the eggs are cooking, toast your bread until lightly browned.

Serve the eggs over the toast.

Honored Contributor

i make something very similar, but in our culture it is generally not spicy (although it can be)......onions, garlic, salt, pepper, turmeric, saffron, eggs, butter or olive oil.

love it, especially when the tomatoes are ripe and full of flavor.

most of the times the eggs are runny, but for those who dont like then runny just scramble them into the mixture.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Looks a lot like Shakshuka which is a Middle Easten dish that is very similar

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Frequent Contributor

@I am still oxox 

Trader Joe's has a new product called "Shakshura starter" in frozen section. IMHO it is wonderful!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I so appreciate your account of All Hallow's Eve, @cherry .  That evening, followed by All Saints Day and All Souls Day, is indeed a sacred time.  This is the first All Souls Day that I will be remembering my Dad.  Thank you for helping to prepare me for that.

Honored Contributor

You are most welcome @vsm . I will see if I can find a recipe for All Saints Day too

Honored Contributor

I've never made this with the chopped bell pepper.  Husband requests that I go easy on the red pepper flakes:

4 thick slices Italian bread

3 1/2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil

2 cloves garlic. sliced thin

2 tbsp grated onion

1/2 tbsp tomato paste

1/4 tsp red pepper flakes

1/4 tsp dried oregano

14-oz can crushed tomatoes

4 eggs

2 tbsp grated Parmesan

Place bread on baking sheet and drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil.  Flip bread and drizzle with another tbsp olive oil.  Broil 3 minutes per side.

Heat 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil in 10" skillet over medium heat.  Stir in garlic for 2 minutes.  Stir in onion, tomato paste, pepper flakes, 1/2 tsp salt, and oregano for 4 minutes.  Stir in tomatoes and gently simmer over medium-low heat about 15 minutes to thicken.

Cool pan off heat for 2 minutes.  Clear 2" circle in center of pan and break one egg in circle.  Break 3 eggs in cleared spaces around perimeter of pan.  Cover and cook over medium heat for 3 minutes.  Uncover and bake in 400 degree oven for 5 minutes.  Sprinkle with Parmesan and serve on broiled toast.  

Esteemed Contributor

@cherry  I'me trying to understand Nigella's hangover reference. How would you begin to fix this dish while having a hanghover??

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PA Mom-mom  it is fast and easy to fix, and I guess gentle on the stomach. In her cooking show  she says that . I suppose the reference to purgatory for her, might be the way she was feeling ,the next morning