Frequent Contributor

Ninja foodi mac and cheese recipe

I pulled the new Foodi out of the box and wanted to cook something right away so I tried the Baked Mac and cheese recipe from the booklet included.  The machine pressure cooked and air fryed perfectly.  But it  tasted yucky.  I followed the recipe exactly as I usually do when I try one the first time and I ignored my spidey sense alarm bells.  The seasonings were way too generous. Am I  just crazy or what? Anyway the first step which was to pressure cook the noodles in water, lemon juice and baking soda.  After that they looked greyish, but I just blindly continued with the rest.  So I threw out the batch and will look further for a mac n cheese recipe.

IMG_3561.JPG

Honored Contributor

Re: Ninja foodi mac and cheese recipe

A tablespoon of garlic powder?  Wow, if you'd eaten it nobody could get near you.  I've made mac and cheese in the PC  and thought it was truly awful but it was because it was sticky and greasy, something only kids would savor.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

That doesn't even sound good.  1/2 cup lemon juice and heavy cream???? Yuck. That would make the cream curdle.

i would lose the lemon juice and those heavy onion and garlic powder spices and add more cheese.

I am sorry your mac and cheese didn't turn out well and you wasted your time and money.

Honored Contributor

Just reading that recipe would have told me something was seriously wrong!

Esteemed Contributor

Yikes! Sorry for your bad experience, @Black Pony; that recipe does seem very, very wrong. A pressure cooker intensifies flavors, and even in a regular stovetop recipe, it's hard to imagine wanting a tablespoon of any of those seasonings for one box of pasta, let alone 2 Tbsp of kosher salt (unless it was for the cooking water).

I haven't gotten around to trying this one yet, but here's a link to a recipe for easy pressure cooker macaroni and cheese from the Blue Jean Chef—perhaps it will be a helpful starting point if you just want to test your Foodi's performance:

https://bluejeanchef.com/recipes/quick-and-easy-mac-n-cheese/

If you want a crispy top, the proportions for the panko and butter in your recipe seem like they'd still apply, and then you can do the final air fry step in your Foodi. Good luck and happy cooking!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I really like a Bob Wardens  mac n  cheese for the pressure cooker. The recipe is in both his cookbooks. That  recipe is all kinds of wrong.

Frequent Contributor

Thanks for your comments.  I think the seasonings on the recipe were two or three times the amount needed.  Even the amount of the bread crumbs for the topping seemed too much for that amount of pasta.  Oh well.  I am afraid to try any other recipes in the Ninja Foodi booklet now!  I will try the Blue Jean chef version on my next attempt at mac n cheese.

Respected Contributor

@Black Pony 

Most people on the Facebook Foodi group say the recipe in the foodi book is horrible.   So, don't feel bad.  Try other PC recipes for it or look on Pinterest; there are ton's there.